Can't loop YouTube videos in Cascade template

Jump to solution
07-14-2016 12:27 PM
MarcyLaViollette
New Contributor III

The documented way to loop a YouTube video is to transfer it from this URL format:

Bike Corridor Story Map - YouTube  (sorry, it won't let me paste without auto-changing it to a hyperlink.  You'll have to right-click to capture the URL.)

to this format:

https://www.youtube.com/v/JNItD1PHos0?version=3&loop=1&playlist=JNItD1PHos0

Both work in a browser, and the second one will autoloop.  However only the first format (/watch?) is accepted in the Cascade template (not /v/).  I know that there's documentation about how to do autoloop with Vimeo, but I work in local government and we use YouTube, not Vimeo for our video hosting.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Marcy,

Currently we only read the video ID from video links, so no URL parameters are supported. Since this is the only way YouTube supports looping you can't do that at the moment.

We will be making more configuration options available for videos in the future. We want to give you controls in Builder to enable features like looping or starting the video at a specific time rather than having to know the URL parameters.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Marcy,

Currently we only read the video ID from video links, so no URL parameters are supported. Since this is the only way YouTube supports looping you can't do that at the moment.

We will be making more configuration options available for videos in the future. We want to give you controls in Builder to enable features like looping or starting the video at a specific time rather than having to know the URL parameters.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Owen

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Marcy -- you may be interested in my comment on this thread related to your question.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Marcy -- YouTube videos will loop on the cover and when used as immersive background media in Cascade in the upcoming June release.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos