Cascade Story Map Issues - Text (Font, Size, Color) and Margins

09-15-2016 07:05 AM
BradleyDean
New Contributor II

I am currently working on the Cascade Story Map and I have encountered a few issues:

• There are no options to change the text style for the Titles (font, size, bold, etc) - I would like the font to be the same throughout so it looks polished
  • There is no ability to change the size of font for the image captions
  • When I identify the color of the text, it does not actually change the color of the text - it maintains the default gray color - it does change sometimes but black seems not to be working consistently - even typing the color codes in does not seem to be working.
  • When you add text it would be beneficial if you were able to control the width of the margins.  If you were able to expand the margins you could reduce the length of the story map and require less scrolling from the viewer = lower level of effort on their part and hopefully more absorption of the material presented.

I identified an issue with Internet Explorer and you are providing a fix today.  I really appreciate the responsiveness!!!

-Brad-

0 Kudos
8 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Bradley,

Thanks for your feedback! We are considering more text formatting and margin options for future updates and will take your suggestions into consideration as we work on those.

I'm not able to reproduce the issue you described with the color picker. Currently when you select a color in the picker you have to click "Choose" for the color to be applied to your text. Are you not seeing the color applied after clicking "Choose?" (We're planning to improve this experience in the future to give you a preview of the selected color while the color picker is open.)

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
deleted-user-FqdE0sylj715
New Contributor II

I have had similar issues with changing the color of the text. Sometimes when I tried to change the color, even after hitting "Choose" the color would not change. Sometimes I would have to try several times before the color would actually change. Also facing an issue where the style chosen for the immersive title would not reflect in the viewer version and/or after reopening the editing version. The title consistently reverts back to the default in one of my sections.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Kim/Brad,

Thanks for reporting these issues. Are you using Safari or Chrome to build your story?

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
BradleyDean
New Contributor II

I have been using Chrome.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-FqdE0sylj715
New Contributor II

I have been using Chrome as well

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Actually, I have an idea for what might be going on. It has to do with how the color picker behaves.

The initial location for the color selector is on the far left of the color field, which represents black/dark color. If you just click a color on the horizontal selector the color won't change because that color selector dot is still giving you a very dark version of the color you selected. 

This shouldn't affect picking a color chip from the palette or entering a hex code though. Try moving that dot selector to the right in the color field to select a color and see if that works. Let me know if you are still seeing issues.

Owen

Owen Evans
BradleyDean
New Contributor II

Owen,

That is how I have been doing my workaround, by moving the color selector. Even when I do that however, oftentimes the color will not change and it takes multiple tries, even when I type in the color code. Im having a problem simply getting the same color black.

-Brad-

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Brad - do you mean you are trying to get the same color black as the standard story font color? The Clear Color button in the upper right can be used to clear any color you applied to text.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos