Classic Story Maps

Jump to solution
02-09-2022 06:54 AM
DHS_User_R6-FEMA
New Contributor II

I understand that classic story maps are no longer going to be supported. Does this mean my classic story maps will no longer work soon? Do I need to rebuild all my current story maps in ArcGIS story maps? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CelesteWalz
Occasional Contributor

I'm currently trying to edit a Shortlist Storymap, and the changes are not 'taking'. I've tried editing in different browsers, and clearing my history and caches. I'm just editing some texting a changing one picture. The underlying map is not changing. Is this related to the deprecation of the Classic?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
BrendanNewell
Esri Contributor

Hi @DHS_User_R6-FEMA,

Currently Classic Story Maps are in extended support.

There is a bunch of information in the "Moving to ArcGIS StoryMaps" StoryMap with some key points below. Also if you are looking to Migrate to ArcGIS StoryMaps you will have to rebuild your stories as you have mentioned.

• You'll be able to edit stories you've created with the classic templates for several years
  • Stories created with classic templates will continue to exist for a long time

That being said, the classic templates are moving into the later phases of the Esri Support Lifecycle, which means they are not current technology and won't be around forever. As web browsers and other related technologies change, things may stop working as expected at some point. These things are difficult to predict with any certainty, so it's strongly advised that everyone plan and implement a transition from the older classic templates to the current-generation ArcGIS StoryMaps as soon as possible.

Also you may be interested in the lastest update to ArcGIS StoryMaps

Cheers  

🙂
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

And here's the latest on the transition of the classic templates: Classic story map transition timeline (August 2021) (esri.com)

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
CelesteWalz
Occasional Contributor

I'm currently trying to edit a Shortlist Storymap, and the changes are not 'taking'. I've tried editing in different browsers, and clearing my history and caches. I'm just editing some texting a changing one picture. The underlying map is not changing. Is this related to the deprecation of the Classic?

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@CelesteWalz -- I apologize you are having an issue editing your shortlist story. As mentioned above, the classic templates are in extended support, which means they are not under active development but in general stories should continue to be editable.

I'm not able to reproduce the issue you've described here on any of my shortlist stories. I would recommend that you please contact Esri Support if you continue to experience this issue and they can help you troubleshoot this.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
CelesteWalz
Occasional Contributor

For this particular Story, it really isn't too big of a deal to just recreate it. In another instance, I have over 30 Story Tours (classic) that will all have to be rebuilt. I'm hoping some of the documentation makes that process easier - maybe I'll find the magic "update to new format" button somewhere. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

We've got lots of resources to help you transition from classic to ArcGIS StoryMaps. Please check out these articles and tutorials.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
CelesteWalz
Occasional Contributor

Owen, thanks for the links. I seem to be having all kinds of problems recreating this map. I can't figure out how to add polygons (in this case, property boundary) and walking paths to a 'Guided Tour' new Storymap.

If I use my web map that was used in the classic version, I can't have the grid of photos with tour points to the left side of MY map - it wants to add a NEW tour map below.  

I've been googling and trying different things all day and I can't seem to make it work. Am I missing something completely fundamental?

Here's a link to the Storymap (classic) that I haven't been able to reproduce the look and feel of in new Storymaps.

https://arcg.is/0b1viu

I'm working on a home-use license as I do this work pro-bono for the Conservancy.

0 Kudos