Click to navigate to a tab within a story map series

Jump to solution
01-25-2017 05:10 PM
BonnieWeller
New Contributor II

I have a Story Map series with several tabs that are linked a Story Map Journal.  From this tab (aka "journal") I have a click here link that I want to have navigate to another tab. I put the URL in along with the &Entry=1 (First tab). The link takes me to the first tab but it opens another instance of the Story Map Series rather than stay in the current Story Map Series and simply go the the first tab.

Can this be easily done? If so how.

Many Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Bonnie - unfortunately that is not supported in the Map Series builder at the moment, but you could do that by downloading the code and customizing it to add that behavior.

If you can instead use a Map Journal for your story, it does have this ability. You can highlight some text and set up a "Story Action" to create a link to another section.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Bonnie - unfortunately that is not supported in the Map Series builder at the moment, but you could do that by downloading the code and customizing it to add that behavior.

If you can instead use a Map Journal for your story, it does have this ability. You can highlight some text and set up a "Story Action" to create a link to another section.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
ElizabethBrown2
New Contributor II

Hi OEvans-esristaff

I have a similar question to this one. I'm creating a Story Map Series: the first tab will have an intro map (of several watersheds in the District) and each subsequent tab will have specific information about an element on that map (a specific watershed). Is there a way to have the viewer click on a watershed on that intro map and have that load a tab discussing that specific watershed?

Happy to provide more detail if that will help!

-Elizabeth

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Elizabeth -- Unfortunately, that's not supported in the Map Series builder right now. We are considering that enhancement for a future update, but we currently don't have a specific date when we plan to add it.

You can create that sort of experience if you are able/willing to customize the application code and host it on your own web server. We have an article on our developer blog that shows you how to do something similar for Story Map Journal, so you could consider looking at that. The article includes sample code, so you don't have to know JavaScript to be able to make the customization. For the situation you described, Map Journal might work just as well.

https://developerscorner.storymaps.arcgis.com/navigate-map-journal-sections-using-the-mainstage-map-... 

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
ElizabethBrown2
New Contributor II

Hi Owen,

Thank you for your quick response. Does this mean that the StoryMap Series application code customizable? I'm using the article to walk me through the process of editing the code, but trying to adapt it for StoryMap series. I'm running into a couple of sticking points, specifically this step:

"Next, open custom-scripts.js (it’s in the app folder in the project directory). Replace the existing content of this file (which is just empty, non-functional placeholder stuff) with the following code snippet"

Any help would be appreciated!

Elizabeth

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Elizabeth -- Since Journal and Series work somewhat differently, you'll need to know JavaScript to adapt the sample in that article to work with Series.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos