Creating a story map similar to Cooper Thomas who is part of the Esri Story Map Team

Jump to solution
10-16-2016 11:26 AM
VictoriaGrima
New Contributor

Hi, I really like the style that Cooper Thomas used to created his story map titled 'Iran: A Glimpse Beyond the Headlines'.  I would like to use it to create a story map.  It is possible to know which one he used. I tried to go through the templates but I cannot find it.  Also, I would like to show a label when I hover over a point, it is possible to know how this is done, because I could not find such settings in the Pop-Up configuration section of the layer.

thanks lots for the help.

Victoria

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for your interest in Cooper's story. As has been discussed above already, he used a customized version of Map Tour that is not currently available as a template.

However, we have just begun work to re-design Map Tour from scratch with a new builder and several new layouts. One of the new layouts will be similar to the Iran story that Cooper did.

We hope to have the initial release the new Map Tour in the first half of next year.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Could you update your question with the link you used.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

It looks like a map template that is probably not released yet:

http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2016/iran-tour/ 

I found it in the "custom" section of the story maps page:

http://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/gallery/#s=0&md=storymaps-apps:custom

It's very similar to the Bees map that Esri made:

http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2014/bee-tour/ 

0 Kudos
VictoriaGrima
New Contributor

Hi to both,

this is the link for the story map that I am referring too  http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2016/iran-tour/

Adrian Welsh found it in the custom section of the story map gallery. Myself I found it on the general page of the story maps gallery.  Do you know if there is a way to use it?

thanks

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Victoria,

From what I gather, you cannot [yet] use this story map as a template.

This blog post somewhat explains the evolution of a story map template (and hopefully this particularly map will become a template soon):

The Story Maps Life Cycle | Esri Insider 

0 Kudos
VictoriaGrima
New Contributor

Hi Adrian,

Thanks, I read the article, I hope they consider in doing it a template because the layout it is very nice. I will look into the other available templates and select one of those for now for my project. By any chance is there a way to show the label of a point when the mouse cursor hovers over it?

thanks

0 Kudos
VictoriaGrima
New Contributor

Hi Adrian

Thanks, I read the article, I hope they consider in doing it a template because the layout it is very nice. I will look into the other available template and select one of those for now for my project. By any chance is there a way to show the label of a point when the mouse hovers over it?

thanks again for all of your input.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for your interest in Cooper's story. As has been discussed above already, he used a customized version of Map Tour that is not currently available as a template.

However, we have just begun work to re-design Map Tour from scratch with a new builder and several new layouts. One of the new layouts will be similar to the Iran story that Cooper did.

We hope to have the initial release the new Map Tour in the first half of next year.

Owen

Owen Evans
VictoriaGrima
New Contributor

Hi Owen,

thanks very much for the further info. I have another question that I would like to ask you but I would like to know if I continue on this thread or should I post a new question.

thanks

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Please use a new thread for a new, unrelated question. Thx! 🙂

Owen Evans
0 Kudos