Creating additional icons - e.g. for Playlist template

Jump to solution
11-15-2013 05:25 AM
MarkBrickley
New Contributor II
Are there directions somewhere for making numbered icons? Our "tree memorial" project is being done by college students for a local town. My earlier comment (on the Playlist template page) was that we probably need 500 points, but the Playlist template is limited to 99. I do appreciate the new revision having a search capability, but the real advantage of the Playlist is the ability of people to browse the list (left panel) of people with trees named after them and see a photo. Clicking that item brings you to the tree's location and a popup with more details of that person. The students are computer savvy, so they can build icons if there is a way to do that AND the code will allow us to change the upper limit to 500 or so. If making icons is possible, how do we do that?   Is it necessary to use numbered icons?  Can't we just use the same symbol (a point) for every tree on our map?  Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
21 Replies
EmilyLee
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you once again for your responses.  You guys are probably tired of me. I apologize.

I've followed your steps and I think this time I'm using Git Shell, right? (Not just right-click > Open from the Git Shell icon).

no2.png

Instead,

screen.png

Then, I think I've gotten through setting project folder part, but when I tried to run 'bundle exec middleman', it says that I'm missing dependency 'wdm' and http://0.0.0.0:4567/‌ webpage is not available.

hub.PNG

Thank you for your time again,

Emily

0 Kudos
CONABIONC_for_Knowledge_and_Us
Occasional Contributor

Hi Emily, I get the same error, but http://localhost:4567/‌ loads fine anyway, so this should not be a problem.

According your screenshots you are starting the Git-Shell correctly. Maybe you could repeat these steps with the original files (that´s what I did for testing right now): Download the playlist-dev-verion from Github, save it to a new directory, link it in Git as repository and follow the steps under "setup project folder".

best regards,

0 Kudos
EmilyLee
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you. Yes, maybe I should repeat all the steps from the beginning at another computer.  

0 Kudos
JulieK
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Stephen,

I know it has been a long while but I am try to update the code to show more than 99 projects. 

I have installed everything as per instructions but I keep getting error when I run bundle exec middleman

It says bundler: command not found: middleman

install missing gem executables with 'bundle install'

Any thought? I have installed and uninstalled multiple times but I get stuck with this error. Please help!

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Julie, did you make sure to download the developer download and follow all these instruction: GitHub - Esri/playlist-storytelling-template-js: A storytelling template that organizes point data s...? The error you're getting appears that you never ran "bundle install" or that you have not installed ruby or the bundle installer appropriately. If you're on windows, you should also make sure you are using a command line program that provides access to the ruby commands. You should be able to run "ruby -v" and "bundle -v" to see the version numbers of each program installed.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

And here's an additional zip file of marker symbols that may be useful. Several authors have made additional marker symbols and kindly shared them with us.

http://links.esri.com/storymaps/numbered_marker_symbols

MarkBrickley
New Contributor II
Thank you for the reply.  We'll make the additional icons.  We notice the directions say to save the files as jpegs, but then, in the reply that follows that one, additional icons made by others all seem to be PNG files.  Before we set out to make hundreds of these, does the file type matter?

Thanks for all the help - we really do appreciate it.
0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor
Sorry, you are correct the file extension for every icon should be ".png" (all lower case).
0 Kudos
CONABIONC_for_Knowledge_and_Us
Occasional Contributor

A similar issue regarding the playlist template has been discussed here:

How to use simple markers to show six categories?

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos