Does anyone have any literature or research supporting the use of story maps over more traditional methods of communication? Or even case studies of how story maps enhanced traffic to websites or increased message effectiveness?

09-05-2017 05:43 AM
BradleyDean
New Contributor II

I am trying to find information to validate and promote the use of story maps but everything I have found has been qualitative.

Thank You

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Bradley

Interesting question. We have shared this in our team too to see if we have any info or reports on this.

Story Map authors on Geonet > Feel free to jump in if you have any evidence, analytic or anecdotal, about maps and in particular story maps, increasing engagement, outreach or effectiveness for your application or project. We think they do, but can we prove it?

Rupert

BradleyDean
New Contributor II

Rupert,

Many eyes have seen this post and I am feeling a bit discouraged by the lack of responses. I am a huge proponent of story maps and 100% agree they increase engagement and effectiveness of content, but having data to support this claim would be invaluable. Has your team uncovered anything?

-Brad-

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Perhaps it's the case that there simply aren't objective analytics for this, or that it is pretty hard to measure how successful something is with and without a map or map-based app being involved in a controlled way. 

Rupert

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

It might make a good research thesis for an aspiring graduate student.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos