Feature search not working in shortlist beta template

Jump to solution
03-03-2017 01:55 PM
AlecTrenda2
New Contributor

I have a web map with one hosted feature service, feature search working in the web map default viewer.  In the shortlist beta template only the Arcgis address locator results are displayed.  How to enable feature search and disable address search?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Alec, sorry about the issue and thanks for posting here about it. I can also see an issue when I do a similar thing as you. We're going to look into it.

I can reproduce the issue when I create a Shortlist from a web map that contains a layer-based place search (defined in the web map's settings page in its item entry in ArcGIS Online) using a hosted feature service and I use the 'Import' option when prompted by the Shortlist Builder. The copy of my original map that the Shortlist Builder's Import function creates doesn't seem to retain that layer-based place setting. Are you also creating a Shortlist from a web map using the Import option? In my case I was basing the layer place search on a supporting layer in that web map (not the layer containing the points I want to turn into Shortlist places): the copy of that map has that supporting layer as expected, just not the settings that define a place search based on it. 

I found it worked OK for me with the same map and the other options from creating a Shortlist from a web map (i.e. the new 'as-is' live link option and the 'don't import' option).

I found it worked OK for me if I started by creating a Shortlist completely from scratch by starting the process from the Story Maps website or the Create option in My Content, and then saved my Shortlist, closed the Builder, went to My Content, added my supporting layer into the web map that the Shortlist Builder created to store my places and finally defined the layer-based search in that web map's settings. When I viewed the Shortlist again and looked in the Address/Place Finder control, I do see that layer based search as an option.

Rupert

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Alec, sorry about the issue and thanks for posting here about it. I can also see an issue when I do a similar thing as you. We're going to look into it.

I can reproduce the issue when I create a Shortlist from a web map that contains a layer-based place search (defined in the web map's settings page in its item entry in ArcGIS Online) using a hosted feature service and I use the 'Import' option when prompted by the Shortlist Builder. The copy of my original map that the Shortlist Builder's Import function creates doesn't seem to retain that layer-based place setting. Are you also creating a Shortlist from a web map using the Import option? In my case I was basing the layer place search on a supporting layer in that web map (not the layer containing the points I want to turn into Shortlist places): the copy of that map has that supporting layer as expected, just not the settings that define a place search based on it. 

I found it worked OK for me with the same map and the other options from creating a Shortlist from a web map (i.e. the new 'as-is' live link option and the 'don't import' option).

I found it worked OK for me if I started by creating a Shortlist completely from scratch by starting the process from the Story Maps website or the Create option in My Content, and then saved my Shortlist, closed the Builder, went to My Content, added my supporting layer into the web map that the Shortlist Builder created to store my places and finally defined the layer-based search in that web map's settings. When I viewed the Shortlist again and looked in the Address/Place Finder control, I do see that layer based search as an option.

Rupert

AlecTrenda2
New Contributor

Thank you for your response.

Are you also creating a Shortlist from a web map using the Import option? Yes, I use a feature service instead of a feature collection.  

We tried your workaround but ran into an issue.  Our process;

1. Created a webmap

2. Create a web app, added points manually (Instead of import), activated search

3. In the web map removed the feature collection and replaced it with a hosted feature service.

4. Now the web map has error when trying to load the page

5. We noticed that the field names were different in the original feature collection and the hosted feature service. We tried to add an attribute "set" but it gave us an invalid field name error. 

Do you have any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Alex, 

When you create a Shortlist, the Shortlist stores the places you author in a layer in its own format.

The only exception to this is if you create a Shortlist using the new 'as-is' option. With the 'as-is' option, it reads the Shortlist points from a layer in the web map that you create your Shortlist from, and lets you edit and manage your places in that web map, instead of interactively in the Shortlist Builder. With the 'as-is' option you are free to update the places in your Shortlist either by editing the layer in your web map, or completely replacing the layer in that web map with a different layer: the Shortlist just reads the layer and displays it 'as-is'. 

But with all the other ways of creating a Shortlist, such as creating from a web map and importing the points, or starting 'from scratch' and interactively adding the points in the Builder, you can't go into the web map in which the Shortlist is storing the places and do anything to that layer because the Shortlist stores places in that layer in its own format. There's not really a way for us to lock that layer so you can't edit it, but you shouldn't That layer has 'DO NOT REMOVE' in its name but we should probably make that 'DO NOT REMOVE OR EDIT'. It will break your Shortlist if you try and edit or replace that layer, and I believe that's what happened to you above. You can make other edits to the web map that the Shortlist is storing its places in, such as adding additional supporting layers, such as layers that you want to use in the Address/Place finder, but must make sure to close the Shortlist Builder first: if you make edits to that web map in one browser tab while the Shortlist Builder is open in another tab it can similarly break your Shortlist or result in you losing work if you try and save changes in either or both tabs.

If you want to be able to edit your Shortlist places in the web map instead of in the Shortlist Builder you have to use the 'as-is' option. See our What's New in Story Maps blog post for info about that. We added that 'as-is' option because GIS Pros like to be able to create and manage data themselves. The 'as-is' option requires that your places are in a single layer that uses our Shortlist data template schema. Note that 'as-is' currently doesn't work with ArcGIS Server feature services (i.e, enterprise services not hosted in ArcGIS Online).

I think you might be trying to use the Address/Place Finder in Shortlist in order to allow the user to search the places in your Shortlist. This isn't supported because your places are arranged in tabs that the Address/Place Finder doesn't know about, and because, unless you are using the 'as-is' option to create your Shortlist, the layer that the Shortlist uses to store your places can't be used to define a place based search in a web map. 

Rupert