Select to view content in your preferred language

lacking pictures in story map tour despite mandatory fields

Jump to solution
06-09-2016 03:32 AM
ManuelaEgloff
New Contributor III

I am trying to create a hosted Story Map Tour in ArcGIS Online based on a web map.

The web map contains a Point layer (map service!) with many
different fields including the mandatory fields name, descritpion, pic_url, thumb_url. The
field pic_url contains the url for the images we want to show in the Story Map Tour.
Going through the following steps, the result in the story map builder is not
satisfactory at all! The images are lacking and only the points are showing in
the map section.

These are the steps I’m following:

• create new web map
  • Add Layer from Web >> map Service of point layer
  • Save web map
  • Share >> all >> create a web-app >> create Story Map >> select Story Map Tour >> Create app
  • Fill in the title, tags, etc...>> OK >> Story Map Tour Builder pops open >> Pics are lacking, Points showing ...

Any advice will be appreciated!

Manuela

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi sorry for the delay. Yes the Story Map Tour builder didn't recognize the layer you added into your web map, and so it created the Map Tour layer because it didn't find a valid point layer with locations already in that map. The problem is that you are using a Map Service type layer. You need to add your point layer into the web map (start a new web map too) using either a feature service type layer (i.e. created either in ArcGIS Online or published via ArcGIS Desktop , or a feature collection type layer (i.e.such as a CSV file or point shapefile) simply uploaded into the web map. So it will work if you just add your point layer into a new web map using one of those alternatives to a map service, and then share your web map using the Story Map Tour builder.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Can you share the web map publicly and paste the link here so we can have a look. Or just paste some of the records, including the URLs you are using. I suspect your URLs are not working for some reason.

Rupert

0 Kudos
ManuelaEgloff
New Contributor III

Hello Rupert

Web Map: http://arcg.is/1YbQVT8

Story Map Tour: http://arcg.is/1YbSjVP

After the above mentioned proceeding I opened the web map once again. In addition to my point layer there is now an empty "Map Tour Layer". I guess the "Story Map Tour Builder" somehow generated this emtpy layer and for some reason didn't recognize my point layer with the mandatory fields.

I just don't have the faintest idea why not!

My urls in the field "pic_url" are like "http://hydroftp.ag.ch/hydrometrie/img/FG_0548_ZH.jpg" or "http://hydroftp.ag.ch/hydrometrie/img/FG_2016_BAFU.jpg"

Maybe there is a restricted number of fields for the layer? My layer has over 40 fields and the mandatory fields are at the very end. Is there e strict order for the mandatory fields?

Thank you very much!

Manuela

0 Kudos
ManuelaEgloff
New Contributor III

Hello Rupert,

I was wondering if you have had a chance to look at my links above yet?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Manuela

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi sorry for the delay. Yes the Story Map Tour builder didn't recognize the layer you added into your web map, and so it created the Map Tour layer because it didn't find a valid point layer with locations already in that map. The problem is that you are using a Map Service type layer. You need to add your point layer into the web map (start a new web map too) using either a feature service type layer (i.e. created either in ArcGIS Online or published via ArcGIS Desktop , or a feature collection type layer (i.e.such as a CSV file or point shapefile) simply uploaded into the web map. So it will work if you just add your point layer into a new web map using one of those alternatives to a map service, and then share your web map using the Story Map Tour builder.

0 Kudos