Map Series Builder - interactive layers

Jump to solution
07-19-2016 12:05 PM
LauraNessman1
New Contributor

I am using the Map Series Builder for my web application as I have multiple maps I want to include.
I want to the layer list present on each map so users can customize the map view as they can do using the Layers widget in other web application builders.

I hope my application can work similarly to this map: Explore Atlas | Vital Signs

The layers on each map are interactive.

I am seeking any advice on how I could make this happen. Thank you in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Laura

The Story Map apps don't support exposing a layer list/table of contents for web maps. In story maps the model is more that the author chooses the map content and then presents it to the reader as part of their narrative. The exception to this which is in the Story Map Journal where you can create 'main stage actions' - clickable links in the narrative text next to a map that can change the map when clicked on, including turning specific layers on or off.

The Vital Signs app you posted is cool: it's a customization of the Story Map Series app embedded into a web page. For that sort of customization, you would download the source code for the app, work with a dev to make changes and then self-host it.

Another way to get the effect you want: create apps with the Web App Builder in ArcGIS Online that include the layer list widget, and them embed those apps in your Story Map Series instead of using web maps directly. It won't look like the Vital Signs app, but it will enable your readers to choose the layers in the map.

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Laura

The Story Map apps don't support exposing a layer list/table of contents for web maps. In story maps the model is more that the author chooses the map content and then presents it to the reader as part of their narrative. The exception to this which is in the Story Map Journal where you can create 'main stage actions' - clickable links in the narrative text next to a map that can change the map when clicked on, including turning specific layers on or off.

The Vital Signs app you posted is cool: it's a customization of the Story Map Series app embedded into a web page. For that sort of customization, you would download the source code for the app, work with a dev to make changes and then self-host it.

Another way to get the effect you want: create apps with the Web App Builder in ArcGIS Online that include the layer list widget, and them embed those apps in your Story Map Series instead of using web maps directly. It won't look like the Vital Signs app, but it will enable your readers to choose the layers in the map.

Rupert

0 Kudos