Need to know who contributed to a crowdsource map

07-15-2016 06:35 AM
InnisfreeMcKinnon1
New Contributor II

I'm experimenting with using  Crowdsource maps in my introductory geography courses. First thing I can't figure out is how to see who contributed a point to the map. Right now there is no place for people to add in their names. I have it set so they need to log in, but I don't see anywhere in the review contribution setup that would allow me to see their login names.

Also, I would like to require them to log in with their university enterprise account, but the steps to do this are not obvious. When the login window pops up, it is so small that the "login with enterprise account" is not visible.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Innisfree,

There's no way to access user names in the builder right now, but you can go to arcgis.com > My Content, find your Crowdsource story's feature service, and view that info on its Data tab. In the future we are planning to add the ability to configure the form where you collect information so you can prompt contributors to submit whatever you want.

We hadn't considered limiting contributors to a specific organization, but I can see how that would be useful in your case. I've added that enhancement to our list, and we'll consider that for a future release.

Can you please post a screenshot of the login window issue you mentioned? The window I see shows all the options (see below), so I'd like to see what you are seeing so we can troubleshoot that.

2016-07-15 at 10.09.32 AM.JPG

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
InnisfreeMcKinnon1
New Contributor II

Actually, I just realized that this is a problem we are having when accessing arcgisonline from ArcMap 10.3. I'm working with student research assistants on 10.3 and working on the StoryMaps for my intro classes. I guess I need to submit this problem elsewhere. The Enterprise Account button is there, it just doesn't show unless you expand the window.

Capturearcgis signon.JPG

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Innisfree,

I should have also mentioned this article that describes how to change the text on the form. This lets you prompt contributors for specific information in the fields you have available in the beta app.

https://developerscorner.storymaps.arcgis.com/how-to-personalize-your-crowdsource-story-even-more-a9...

For example, instead of "Title," you could use "Your First Name and Organization" as shown below.

2016-07-15 at 10.24.31 AM.JPG

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
InnisfreeMcKinnon1
New Contributor II

Thanks Owen! I did just mess around with this option, which is a good temporary fix for my problem. I would like to be able to limit who sees class maps in the future since I'm asking students to put their names on their work.

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Innisfree, If you share your app/map/layer privately to your organization or a group you can limit who can view the app. By doing this you will also limit who has access to contribute to the map just by who has access to view it. Also, if you have your app hosted on ArcGIS Online and it is privately shared, the app will first redirect to ArcGIS Online login page (or auto log the user in if they are already signed in) which will be their normal login experience. If they have already authenticated to view the app, they will not have to log in before they contribute.

0 Kudos
InnisfreeMcKinnon1
New Contributor II

Yes, good point. I hesitated to make it shared privately with just our university because the students have never used ArcGISonline before and so have never logged on. Right now I'm teaching the course online and I wanted to keep it simple, but in the future I will be able to demo this with students in class. Right now I changed the name on one of the fields, so it asks them to put their first name, and I can look at the login they used to contribute the data.

Thanks!

0 Kudos