Reviewing contributions in story maps crowdsource

Jump to solution
11-03-2016 05:51 AM
LauraBertran
New Contributor III

I am building a story map crowdsource and I want to be able to review all contributions and make sure the picture and text are appropiate. I succesfully added some extra fields which show correctly on the Participate screen. However, I have two problems which may be related:

1st_ Only the image, title and coordinates show when I review pending submissions. Is there any way I can check the description too, without having to open the table outside the app?

2nd_ When I explore the map and see the approved contributions, it only shows image, title and coordinates as well -no description or any other field.

Does anyone have any tips?

Thank you in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

It looks like you have the additional fields added to the feature service and the data is being saved properly through the form in the crowdsource app. The one thing I would change, is the Link field type from "text" to "textarea." It will give you larger input in the form, but the app will give you a clickable link in the display.

If this is the case, you should just have to list the additional fields you want to display in the app data. In the app data JSON, you should see:

"shareDisplay": {
  "media": {
    "type": "photo",
    "field": "PrimaryPhoto"
  },
  "displayOrder": [
    "Description"
  ]
}

You'll need to add the additional fields to the "displayOrder," in the order you want them to display:

},
    "Designer",
    "Description",
    "Link"
  ]
}

However, I'm not sure why description is not showing up since it should have been there by default. If items are not displaying correctly, or if you want to add labels above the text, you will need to modify this file: storymap-crowdsource/SelectedDisplay.babel.js at master · Esri/storymap-crowdsource · GitHub.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

The Story Map Crowdsource app provides a very easy way to approve or reject submissions from the app so only appropriate content shows for your viewer. To start vetting points, open the app editor and click to "Explore the Map" on the cover page. At this point, a new dropdown should appear in the top right of the app that lets you filter which points are visible for review. By default, we only show new contributions on the map that are ready for review.

When you click on a point in the map, the app will open the details panel for that point. This details panel is exactly the same content that will show in the public app with addition of buttons to Approve or Reject a post. Approving the post will make sure it's available in the public version as well as remove it from the "new contributions" filter so you don't have to review it every time you open the review mode of the app. Rejecting the point, will still keep the content available to you, but remove it from the public version of the app.

To your additional questions, how did you add additional fields? At this time, we do not support additional fields that have been added in the hosted version of the app but we do plan to have a form editor in the future. However, it is possible to add new fields if you download the source code and modify it. You will need a developer to do the following:

1. Update or Create a new feature services that contains the additional fields
  2. Define the field specification in the application data configuration
  3. If you are using to input type, you will need to add code the receive, validate and save the data correctly back to the feature service
  4. Update the details panel template to display the additional fields when it is selected.
0 Kudos
LauraBertran
New Contributor III

Thank you for the detailed reply!

I think I might not be seeing all fields because I touched the code. I do review and see the contributions as you showed but now all fields. Let me show you. This is what I see in the app:

However, if I check the table for that particular feature there are more fields:

Which I added in the item's json:

I hope this helps. Is the code correct? What/where is the details panel?

Thank you again

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

It looks like you have the additional fields added to the feature service and the data is being saved properly through the form in the crowdsource app. The one thing I would change, is the Link field type from "text" to "textarea." It will give you larger input in the form, but the app will give you a clickable link in the display.

If this is the case, you should just have to list the additional fields you want to display in the app data. In the app data JSON, you should see:

},
    "Description"
  ]
}

You'll need to add the additional fields to the "displayOrder," in the order you want them to display:

},
    "Designer",
    "Description",
    "Link"
  ]
}

However, I'm not sure why description is not showing up since it should have been there by default. If items are not displaying correctly, or if you want to add labels above the text, you will need to modify this file: storymap-crowdsource/SelectedDisplay.babel.js at master · Esri/storymap-crowdsource · GitHub.