Select to view content in your preferred language

Start video at specific time in Cascade Template

Jump to solution
06-23-2016 09:08 AM
KateNewell1
Occasional Contributor II

How can we link to a video and have it start at a certain point?  Vimeo allows you to start videos at a specific time with the addition of  #t=XXs, where XX is the seconds you want to start at.  For example: https://vimeo.com/130361908#t=20s will start my video at 20 seconds in. This url works in other browsers, but fails when I enter it into the media dialog box in the cascade template.  Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kate,

Right, this embeds the video as a "web page" and you can only use images and videos on the cover at this time.

The workaround I mentioned above can really only be used if you are using your video in a sequential section (not on the cover or in an immersive section). Sorry, you might have to wait for the next release. 😕

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

Sorry that's not supported yet. We will add more options for video in future release and that's top of the list.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kate,

Currently the URL parameters aren't recognized if you use the standard Vimeo URL, but we plan to add this in the future. We want to provide a way to easily configure the start time in builder (without having to know about the URL parameters), but we also want to support the parameters because they are somewhat well known.

As a workaround you can use the parameters with the embed form of the Vimeo video URL like this: https://player.vimeo.com/video/130361908#t=20s

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
KateNewell1

Thanks Owen.

Even in the embedded form, it is not happy with the url having the #t=20s in there.  Works fine as an iframe until I add that on to the end of the url.

Here is the storymap I'm trying to adjust: 

https://bellingham.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=144b4a582a4f409caf10f5e76c1ff262

You can see the video and the template cover text clash with each other, so I'm trying to start the video after the initial video title and credits.

I totally get that this is beta, so no worries if not possible right now

Thanks
Kate

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kate,

Oh, sorry, I meant to just use the embed form of the URL, but not in an iframe. Like this:

2016-06-23 at 4.09.50 PM.JPG

I was able to get this to work; let me know if it works for you. Cascade embeds the video as a "web page" so the config button still appears in the lower left, which overlaps Vimeo's play button in builder, but you can just click anywhere in the center of the video frame to play/pause.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
KateNewell1

I still get the red error box when I try that:

0 Kudos
KateNewell1

So, I noticed a slight difference in our screen-shot message boxes in this thread.  Yours has the "iframe" and "www" options below the blue url box.

If I add the video as "media" within the body of the storymap, I can use the url with the time specification.

However, for some reason the media dialogue box for the "Cover" is slightly different and won't accept the url in the cover media (as opposed to just media within body of story map).

Maybe that helps you diagnose the issue?
Thanks,
Kate

0 Kudos
KateNewell1

So, I noticed a slight difference in our screen-shot message boxes in this thread.  Yours has the "iframe" and "www" options below the blue url box.

If I add the video as "media" within the body of the storymap, I can use the url with the time specification.

However, for some reason the media dialogue box for the "Cover" is slightly different and won't accept the url in the cover media (as opposed to just media within body of story map).

Maybe that helps you diagnose the issue?
Thanks,
Kate

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kate,

Right, this embeds the video as a "web page" and you can only use images and videos on the cover at this time.

The workaround I mentioned above can really only be used if you are using your video in a sequential section (not on the cover or in an immersive section). Sorry, you might have to wait for the next release. 😕

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
KateNewell1

Ok got it

Thanks!

0 Kudos