Story Map Filtering Data

11-22-2018 01:58 PM
ChrisHolmes
Occasional Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I would like to put together the following and I'm wondering if it's possible to do it in a story map.

• I have 4 different views that I want the user to be able to flip back and forth between. The views need to be in sync with eachother. This I can do I think with the basic story map (I believe):
  • You can see there are 5 properties displayed in the map service. I would like to be able to:
    • filter the data to display only one property based on user selection, then zoom to the area. I really don't know how to do the filter thing (or if it's possible). I would like it to apply across all four views and then have things stay in sync when it zooms to the property.
  • I was able to get a search working based on ITEM (which is the unique field identifying each property) but I find that it zooms in really far and I'm wondering if there's a way to set how far it zooms in after completing the search?
  • But what has me most stumped is the whole filter thing. I've found some esri blogs about inserting an existing app into another story map, so wondering if I can use the filter app then use that in the story map, but I'm still looking for all 4 views to stay in sync together.

Is what I'm hoping to do achievable? Any ideas and insights appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chris,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to this issue. It seems like that the functionality of story maps is limited in the Map Series template to not be able to perform Search or Filter on the fly AND keep the map views in sync with each other. 

I was wondering of this as a workaround and you can let me know if this is feasible for you as an organization:

1.) Can you publish the 4 different views as cached map services to your enterprise and then store them as basemaps as part of your organization's basemap gallery group? 

2.) This webmap and then a webapp can be leveraged to use a Basemap Gallery Widget which can change the default basemap lying underneath it.

3.) You can add a filter to this webapp and then insert it into your Storymap with some context for what the application will do. 

Your current conundrum is trying to keep all the views synced but i feel you can accomplish it by using the layers for each view as a basemap that you can toggle to keep things synced in one place. 

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos