Story Map only displays first save, no saves made after then -- lost edits?

Jump to solution
11-08-2017 08:59 AM
KateKeeley
New Contributor III

The Story Map I've been working on for the past couple hours (and consistently been saving every five minutes) won't display (in edit mode and preview mode) anything created since my very first save; everything I've done since then appears to be gone. I've tried it on multiple browsers, but it still only displays my first save.

Any idea what went wrong? My internet? While creating the Story Map, I'd repeatedly click the "view story" button and it would show all my recent edits -- would this display if my internet was malfunctioning?

A few more details:

• Story Map Journal template
  • Used AGO-Assistant to change the theme colors in JSON (this worked and was saved successfully)
  • Edited the HTML for each section to add buttons using <style> tag as per this article

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Kate -- Glad things are working as expected now. Not adding -modified shouldn't make the app unstable. Just make sure you are careful about the order in which you make edits and save them if you have the builder and AGO Assistant open simultaneously.

For example, if you load the story JSON in AGO Assistant, then make changes in the story map builder without saving, then edit and save the JSON, your changes from builder would be lost (since you loaded the JSON before they were made). After saving changes in builder be sure to click the item name in the left column while viewing the JSON in AGO Assistant to request the latest.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kate -- Sorry you are having trouble with your story map. Can you share the story with everyone (from your Content page) and post the link here so we can take a look?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
KateKeeley
New Contributor III

Here you go! https://giffels-webster.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=dea603f33719409a8dec0614771... 

It appears to be saving things properly now; I'm not sure why all my other saves didn't work!

0 Kudos
KateKeeley
New Contributor III

You know what it could be -- I totally forgot to add "-modified" to the theme name when I edited the JSON. That probably made it unstable?

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Kate -- Glad things are working as expected now. Not adding -modified shouldn't make the app unstable. Just make sure you are careful about the order in which you make edits and save them if you have the builder and AGO Assistant open simultaneously.

For example, if you load the story JSON in AGO Assistant, then make changes in the story map builder without saving, then edit and save the JSON, your changes from builder would be lost (since you loaded the JSON before they were made). After saving changes in builder be sure to click the item name in the left column while viewing the JSON in AGO Assistant to request the latest.

Owen Evans
KateKeeley
New Contributor III

WOW. That makes total sense. I think that is definitely what happened and now I feel ridiculous. I had the JSON in one window and was making edits with the Story Map in another and went back and forth saving. OF COURSE saving the JSON continually was overwriting my saves.

Thanks for your help and patience!