view shortlist storymap prior to installing it?

Jump to solution
09-06-2016 05:12 AM
NavaSheer
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to view my shortlist storymap prior to installing it? I am new to all this developer lingo and I really don't want to upload something to the internet that I can't view and make changes to on the fly like I'm used to with other Story maps.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Nava,

It appears that is a bug.  We have a fix and will be patching soon, stay tuned and the viewer should properly display your places when the patch goes through.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Mark

View solution in original post

9 Replies
PatrickMcKinney1

From what I understand, the shortlist storymap can only be self-hosted, although I hear they are working on a cloud-hosted version.

You'll need access to a web server to deploy this app.  You will put the app files in the same directory.  This will probably be done through FTP transfer or in file explorer, depending upon how you connect to your web server.  If you need free hosting to test this app out, you could always create a github account and use github pages.

You will provide the app with your the webmap ID.  This is what will connect the app to the webmap you author.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Nava,

Patrick is correct, there will be a cloud-hosted version of Shortlist available soon -- and by "soon" I mean next week! 🙂

If you can wait a few more days you'll be able to use the new version of Shortlist to create your story using a builder like you can with our other story map apps. Just check the apps page on the story maps website next Wednesday (Sept 14, 2016) and the link to the new Shortlist builder will be there.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
NavaSheer
Occasional Contributor

Owen - you are a savior!  I started working on changing the html file and I dread every moment of this thinking in the end the darn thing wont run and I'll have wasted all this time!  I can certainly wait till September 14th!  I kept on seeing that you would be adding a story builder for the Shortlist but assumed it would not be so soon.  You made my GIS day!!!

0 Kudos
NavaSheer
Occasional Contributor

One more question Owen...  Will it work the same way as now.  Will the base of the info for the shortlist be a shp or geodatabase with all the pictures and links in the file?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Nava,

There are a few supported data sources at the first beta release, and yes, you'll be able to create a web map from a GDB or SHP that contains your place information and photo URLs and then publish that as a Shortlist.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
NavaSheer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Owen,  

The Beta release of the shortlist is wonderful!!!  Getting together a list of recommendations, but for now I have an urgent question.  I already made two versions of shortlist.  The first time I used an existing map and feature service and it worked beautifully.  When I added more locations to my feature service, the shortlist did not reflect the changes so I quickly made a new shortlist app.  BUT now its not working properly in the view mode.  When I click on each location I do not get the details pane.  In the edit mode it works fine and the details pane of each location opens up.  What is wrong here? Is it just a bug in the beta version or am I doing something wrong?! I promised my boss she'd have something to look at on Sunday - but now I'm not so sure!  Its partially in Hebrew but if you want to take a peek at it....  http://arcg.is/2czgNVm   Thanks for all your help

MarkCooney

Hi Nava,

It appears that is a bug.  We have a fix and will be patching soon, stay tuned and the viewer should properly display your places when the patch goes through.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Mark

NavaSheer
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.

0 Kudos
NavaSheer
Occasional Contributor

Thanks - the bug has been fixed - works beautifully now.  Thanks for the quick action.  You guys are really on top of these things.