Generate Near Table Captures All Near Features for All Input Features

09-13-2014 10:33 AM
MikePoletika
New Contributor

Hello,

I am running into a problem using the Generate Near Table tool in ArcMap 10.2. What I am trying to do is to capture the total number of charter schools located within a five mile radius of public schools. I use the public school shapefile as the Input Feature and the charter school shapefile as the Near Feature.

Before using the tool, I do the following:

1. Create separate point shapefiles table and define the projected coordinate as NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_16N, with US_Miles as the unit.

2. Use the Project tool to define the projected coordinate system as NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_16N, with US_Miles as the unit.

3. Set the Data Frame as NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_16N, with US_Miles as the unit.

From what I understand, the shapefiles and Data Frame must be set consistently (i.e. the same projected coordinate system with the same units). When I run Generate Near Table with a file mile radius, each public school captures all charter schools within the state (Indiana). This shouldn't be the case.

I noticed that the geographic coordinate system remains, even after using the Project tool. I think this may be the problem. Any ideas on how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks!

Mike

0 Kudos
0 Replies