Trying to convert coordinate system but "Projected Coordinate System" folder empty?

08-21-2015 09:55 AM
Cathina_Gunn_de_Rosas
New Contributor II

So, I was trying to batch convert a bunch of layers from decimal degree to UTM (I also tried individually with the same problem).

For some reason, there is nothing in the "Projected Coordinate System" folder. Is this because there is some reason this conversion can't be made?

As a note: when I right-click on "Layers" and go to >> properties >> data frame >> coordinate system, I am able to find and assign UTM THERE ... but it just doesn't seem to want to let me change the individual features.

(I've attached a screen shot)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

What ArcGIS version are you using? Also check the filter to the left of the search box and make sure that it's not set.

Melita

Cathina_Gunn_de_Rosas
New Contributor II

I'm using 10.3.1 and there is no filter. The "Projected Coordinate Systems" folder is empty even when I have no object selected, so it does not seem to be a specific conflict with the layer or shapefile in question.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If it's not the Filter issue, as suggested by Melita, you might like to repair ArcGIS for Desktop.

Think Location
0 Kudos
Cathina_Gunn_de_Rosas
New Contributor II

How would I do that?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Use ArcGIS for Desktop installation setup. Start installing it. You will came across 3 options (Modify/Repair/Remove). Run Repair.

Think Location
0 Kudos
Cathina_Gunn_de_Rosas
New Contributor II

Thank you - I'll submit that to IT support (we literally have zero permissions on our machines - federal government!).