Why did 'Project' tool erase features & attributes?

03-11-2016 01:32 PM
AlexBullen1
Occasional Contributor II

I got some shapefiles from a local energy utility company. They are in GCS_WGS_1984. I brought them into ArcMap (10.3) and performed a Project to get them into my projection (NAD_1983_SPC CO-N). This erased all the features. Never had this happen before.  The original shapefile is intact, but the newly created file geodatabase feature class has zero features. Zero features, zero attributes. It brought over the fields & field names, but there's not a shred of data. I've tried doing it in ArcMap, ArcCatalog, shapefile --> shapefile, and shapefile --> file geodatabase feature class. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance, Alex

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

load the file, examine its properties and provide the extents for the file.  When doing the project, the file must have a defined coordinate system for it to work so I assume that is the case. and you had no features selected when you did this.

0 Kudos
AlexBullen1

See extents below for the source file. Did the project with features selected and unselected both just for fun.

Pole Properties.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you do everything outside of a geodatabase.  The area is quite small.  It would be worthwhile seeing if it displays in a new project, projecting it to another shapefile then proceed from there.  since it is a point file, the repair geometry won't do anything. 

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Does the same thing happen if you try to project to another CRS, like UTM? I've never seen that particular CRS and it doesn't appear in my list, so I assume it's custom.

AlexBullen1

Same thing projecting into UTM.

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

I am not familiar with NAD_1983_SPC CO-N, athough it looks like a custom state plane north system for Colorado... If that's true, can you verify the coordinate system? What happens if you reproject another shapefile? What happens if you use a built-in state plane projection?

0 Kudos
AlexBullen1

The full name for the coordinate system we use is NAD_1983_StatePlane_Colorado_North_FIPS_0501_Feet. All of our data is in this projection. For grins I ran the Project tool and used HARN 1983 and NAD_1983_StatePlane_Colorado_Central_FIPS_0502 as well. Same results - field names persist in the new feature class, but no features or attribute data.

0 Kudos
AlexBullen1

I can project other shapefiles fine. So it must be something to do with the source files from the utility company then?

Happy to share one of these shapefiles for testing purposes.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Yes, please zip and upload.

0 Kudos