Why did 'Project' tool erase features & attributes?

03-11-2016 01:32 PM
AlexBullen1
Occasional Contributor II

I got some shapefiles from a local energy utility company. They are in GCS_WGS_1984. I brought them into ArcMap (10.3) and performed a Project to get them into my projection (NAD_1983_SPC CO-N). This erased all the features. Never had this happen before.  The original shapefile is intact, but the newly created file geodatabase feature class has zero features. Zero features, zero attributes. It brought over the fields & field names, but there's not a shred of data. I've tried doing it in ArcMap, ArcCatalog, shapefile --> shapefile, and shapefile --> file geodatabase feature class. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance, Alex

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
AlexBullen1
0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

It worked for me projecting to UTM 13. Perhaps there's something going on with your custom CRS...?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It the shapefile load, try a simple right-click on the layer, do Data, export data and save it to a new shapefile.  and see if that one is a duplicate of the first or not

0 Kudos
AlexBullen1

It is a duplicate. Exporting it into a file geodatabase renders it featureless.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

and you put it into another geodatabase to confirm that the geodatabase settings aren't rendering it useless

0 Kudos
AlexBullen1

I've put it into three different geodatabases. I've gone shapefile to projected shapefile. I've gone shapefile to geodatabase. Just made a fresh geodatabase. I'm even getting an error saying that it's generating empty outputs.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am ArcLess at the moment, but I am sure someone will figure it out.  Since it is a point file Darren Wiens​ could try a FeatureClassToNumPyArray and then back to NumPyArrayToFeatureClass if all else fails.  Make sure you use explode_to_points in case it it a multipoint issue.

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

The reprojection worked well for me:

AlexBullen1

The file is here if anyone is willing to have a crack at it AreaLight.zip - Google Drive

0 Kudos
AlexBullen1

I've found a workaround. Bring the shapefile into ArcMap, export it to feature class using the layer's data source projection. It keeps the old projection (GCS). Open a new map, add a feature class with my preferred projection of State Plane Colorado North. Bring the newly exported feature class into ArcMap, export it using "The Data Frame" option for coordinate system in the export window.

Why my "Project" tool is not functioning properly is another issue, as you all were able to Project without issue. Happy to have my ducks/files in a row. Thanks for working through this with me.

Alex