Documentation of supported source types in DLT

10-10-2023 02:05 AM
Cristian_Galindo
Occasional Contributor III

I have been reading the documentation of the dlt here and also the legacy documentation here but it does not specify which data sources are valid.  

According to some of the videos i can deduct that Filegeodatabases are allowed. 

I have an use case that involves csv, xls, xlsx files. 

I tried to use them in the the tools but I just got a warning, and no workspace was created:

Create Data Loading Workspace
=====================
Parameters

Source to Target Mapping 'C:\Temp2\dlt_prototype\Myfile.xls' C:\Temp2\dlt_prototype\_TRY_Cglondono.sde\DATAOWNER.P_Integrity\DATAOWNER.REFERENCE
Output Folder C:\Temp2\dlt_prototype\dlt_workspaces\SimpleMapping
Calculate Feature Count Statistics false
Data Loading Workspace
Predictive Field Matching Options
Predefined Mapping in_memory\main.dlt_template
Create Matches by Subtype true
=====================
Start Time: Tuesday, October 10, 2023 10:53:34 AM
ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2.41833
dltsolutions 3.1.3
WARNING 000732: Source to Target Mapping: Dataset C:\Temp2\dlt_prototype\myfile.xls does not exist or is not supported
Succeeded at Tuesday, October 10, 2023 10:53:35 AM (Elapsed Time: 1.12 seconds)

Is there a complete list of formats supported for this tool?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Cristian_Galindo

First I notice that I was selecting the xlsx file, not the sheet (my bad).

Now, I selected the sheet but i got another warning:

Start Time: Tuesday, October 10, 2023 11:27:57 AM
ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2.41833
dltsolutions 3.1.3
C:\Temp2\dlt_prototype\MyFile.xlsx\ILI$ -> C:\Temp2\dlt_prototype\TRY_Cglondono.sde\DATAOWNER.P_Integrity\DATAOWNER.RDM_REFERENCE
	Table cannot be mapped to FeatureClass
Succeeded at Tuesday, October 10, 2023 11:27:59 AM (Elapsed Time: 1.71 seconds)

I tried using the tool:

"Append with Transformation" and it did the work.

I really like to use the functionality of the workspace, because i want to make this domain mapping. Is it the way to make the tool CreateDataLoadingWorkspace with xlsx files?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
We have discussed allowing mapping of FC to table, and other options. It looks like you are mapping a table to a feature class or is the target a table? If you are mapping a table to a featureclass, would you expect Null/Empty shapes or are you constructing a shape?
0 Kudos
Cristian_Galindo

I am trying to map a table to a feature class, to be more precise an Event Feature Class (Part of an LRS) I would expect indeed Null/empty shapes, because I expect to generate the events later using the tools in the Location Referencing toolbox later. 

so far every attempt with xls files or event ODBC connection tables, result in the same warning and the tool does not generate the Data Loading workspace

0 Kudos
TedHoward2
Esri Contributor

Just to follow up on this - we have a note to update documentation with supported types. As for your workflow, Excel sheets (not workbooks) are supported as inputs. However, we block table to shape currently. A potentially workaround would be to load your excel table to a gdb table using DLT. From there you can Append to a Feature Class as needed.