Add spatial database connection and Add ArcGIS Server

03-27-2012 10:29 PM
justeencha
New Contributor
Hello everyone. I have 2 question about connection server.

I installed ArcGIS server 10 java platform, ArcSDE 10 and Oracle 10g Ent on server machine. and I want to add Add spatial database connection and Add ArcGIS Server on my notebook pc.

Of course, I already installed ArcGIS Desktop 10 on my notepc.

1. "Add spatial database connection" on ArcCatalog
    - I inputed correc information on dialog box. server name, service name and more. but I can't. I can see only error dialog box.  "Failed to connect to the specified server, Entry for SDE instance not found in services file"
    - When I use ArcCalalog that is installed server marchine, I can connect. How can I do???

2. "Add spatial database connection" on ArcCatalog
    - 2nd question is simmilar to 1st question. I want to add ArcGIS server using ArcCatalog on my note pc. but i have same problem like question 1.
    - As you know, there are 2 optioins on ArcCatalog. Use GIS Services and Manage GIS Services
    - I can add "Use GIS Services" but I can't "Manage GIS Services"
    - When I access ArcGIS Server Manager using IE browser, I can access ArcGIS Server manager. but I want to use ArcCatalog to manage ArcGIS Server. How can I do?

Server machine and my note pc locate same network.

I hope some good solutions.

Thank you
0 Kudos
1 Reply
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
ArcSDE client applications need either a port number or a symbolic name for the port number.
If you use the symbolic name (e.g., "esri_sde"), the application calls the getportybyname system
function, which does a lookup in the services file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\services
or whereever your Windows release hides it).  I usually make up a master services file to
distribute to all clients.

Be careful that you don't try use the Catalog tools for managing Personal or Workgroup
ArcSDE (SQL-Server Express) instances on an Enterprise ArcSDE instance.

- V
0 Kudos