Added Subtype field, need to populate data

01-20-2012 08:29 AM
DaveAugspurger
New Contributor III
I have a feature with about 1200 entries.  I have just added a subtype field with about 15 different subtype codes.  The vast majority of the entries are of one particular subtype.  Is there a way to automatically populate the subtype field with that more common subtype code?  I don't want to have to click the dropdown box and select the correct subtype code from all 1200 entries.  Hope that makes sense...just learning how to use the domains and subtypes and I'm not sure I'm using the correct jargon.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Dave -

The fastest and easiest way to populate your subtype field is use "Select by Attributes" and select the records based on a particular attribute value.  For example, Type = "Interstate".  From there, use the Field Calculator and calculate the subtype field to the appropriate subtype code (i.e. Subtype_Field = 1)  Do this workflow for the remaining 14 subtype codes.  There are other ways to select features as well - manual approach and then use the Field Calculator.

Hope this helps!

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
DaveAugspurger
New Contributor III
[SUB][/SUB]
Dave -

The fastest and easiest way to populate your subtype field is use "Select by Attributes" and select the records based on a particular attribute value.  For example, Type = "Interstate".  From there, use the Field Calculator and calculate the subtype field to the appropriate subtype code (i.e. Subtype_Field = 1)  Do this workflow for the remaining 14 subtype codes.  There are other ways to select features as well - manual approach and then use the Field Calculator.

Hope this helps!

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver

Thanks, that did the trick and it was easy 🙂
0 Kudos
KarlWilson
Occasional Contributor III

I find that when I use Field Calculator to calculate the subtype field, it doesn't update the other fields with the associated default values for that subtype. Only when I manually select a subtype value (from the drop-down list) for a particular row, do the other fields update.

Is there a way to update the subtype of multiple features in one go, which also updates the other fields to their defaults for that subtype?

Thanks,
Karl
NIYONSHUTIOlivier
New Contributor

Hi Karl, 

Did you get help for this issue?

How did you select subtype field in field calculator anyway?

Thanks.

0 Kudos