Adds and Delete tables empty

Jump to solution
04-15-2013 07:09 AM
TAMARADIEZ
New Contributor III
I have done a test on our test environment which is ArcSDE 10 and SQL Server 2010. I have created a new feature dataset and within it I created a feature class. I have registered the dataset as versioned moving edits to the base. I have added 4 polygons , save the edits, then start editing again and removed one polygon. I have checked the A and D tables that correspond to the feature class and they are empty. I was expecting them to have some records. Does anyone know why they are empthy?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CherylCleghorn
Esri Contributor
As Robert has pointed out, when you are perforrming edits in the Default version, the delta (A&D) tables are utilized. This is so that you can get all the benefits of versioned editing such as the ability to undo your edits and to keep your edits private until you save (think of the latter as editing in your own internal 'private version'). With multiple simultaneous editors on the Default version, saving your edits implicitly reconciles/posts to the Default version from your 'private version'; think of this as copying your edits to the Default version. Move edits to base moves the edits that are in the Default version's lineage to the business table. The edits in the private version will remain in the delta tables; they will be removed when the geodatabase is compressed. Thi is a simplified description of how move to base works. There are times when you may see no edits remaining in the delta tables if only one session is performing edits. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RobertJones2
Occasional Contributor
My understanding is that when using move edits to base the edits stay in the adds and deletes tables only during the edit session, and at the end of the session they are automatically written to the base table. Perhaps try viewing the adds and deletes table during the edit session, that is, before they are written to base?
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Tamara,

As the below link mentions:

If you decide to register a feature dataset, stand-alone feature class, or table as versioned with the option to move edits to base, right-click it in the Catalog tree, point to Manage, then click Register As Versioned to open the Register As Versioned dialog box. Check Register the selected objects with the option to move edits to base. Checking this option causes edits that have been saved to the DEFAULT version, whether edited directly or merged from other versions, to be saved in the base (business) tables. Edits to other versions remain in the delta tables when you save.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//003n000000rp000000

So basically, the edits done in DEFAULT version will directly go to the base tables. Edits done in other versions will go to the Delta (a- & d-) tables, for your case.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
0 Kudos
TAMARADIEZ
New Contributor III
Tamara,

As the below link mentions:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//003n000000rp000000

So basically, the edits done in DEFAULT version will directly go to the base tables. Edits done in other versions will go to the Delta (a- & d-) tables, for your case.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Hi, Thanks to you both for your reply.
Our production environmmet is SDE 9.3.1 and SQL Server 2005. I do no understand why the A and D tables have records for some the feature classes if they have been registered as versioned with moving edits to the base and we have not crated any versions. The feature classes are edited by the users.

Is this a bug?

Thanks.

T
0 Kudos
CherylCleghorn
Esri Contributor
As Robert has pointed out, when you are perforrming edits in the Default version, the delta (A&D) tables are utilized. This is so that you can get all the benefits of versioned editing such as the ability to undo your edits and to keep your edits private until you save (think of the latter as editing in your own internal 'private version'). With multiple simultaneous editors on the Default version, saving your edits implicitly reconciles/posts to the Default version from your 'private version'; think of this as copying your edits to the Default version. Move edits to base moves the edits that are in the Default version's lineage to the business table. The edits in the private version will remain in the delta tables; they will be removed when the geodatabase is compressed. Thi is a simplified description of how move to base works. There are times when you may see no edits remaining in the delta tables if only one session is performing edits. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Tamara.

This shouldn't be a Bug.

Can you crosscheck with the IDs of the a- & d- tables having edits, that which FCs they are referring to? Check the Table_registry for verifying the ID of the FCs.

Do you have any Geometric Network, Topology, etc in your geodatabase?
0 Kudos
TAMARADIEZ
New Contributor III
Hi Thanks,

I checked the A and D tables before saving the edits and they were populated. Once I saved the edits they appear empty.

I am a bit confused with the sentence "Move edits to base moves the edits that are in the Default version's lineage to the business table. The edits in the private version will remain in the delta tables; they will be removed when the geodatabase is compressed" Does this mean that when there are various users editing the data the the option Move Edits to the Base do not remove the records from A and D tables after the user save edits?

Thanks,

T
0 Kudos
CherylCleghorn
Esri Contributor
Tamara,

Yes records will remain in the delta tables if you have users simultaneously editing the Default version. The guarantee is that the edits that belong to the Default version are in the business table so that if you access your business table directly via SQL queries you will get the correct results.
0 Kudos