After applying SP3 to ArcSDE 10 (RHEL 5.7 64-bit) --> ERROR while starting ArcSDE

10-26-2011 09:10 AM
BonnieGardner
New Contributor
Applied SP# to ArcSDE 10 and received the following message:
The Service Pack (ArcSDE 10.0 Service Pack 3) has been successfully applied to ArcSDE 10.0 Server.

While trying to start ArcSDE 10, received the following message:
sdemon -o start -u sde -p ????
-------------------------------------------------------
ArcSDE 10.0 for Oracle11g Build 1937 Tue Aug 16 16:08:18 2011
-------------------------------------------------------

ST_Geometry Schema Owner: (SDE) Type Release: 1007

Instance initialized for ((sde)) . . .

Connected to instance . . .

ERROR in checking system st_geometry type (1).

Error checking the existence of system tables. Run
the Upgrade Geodatabase tool to install/upgrade system tables (-450).
Refer ArcSDE installation guide for instructions.

Could not start ArcSDE -- Check Network, $SDEHOME disk, DBMS settings and dbinit.sde.

The Network is fine.
$SDEHOME disk (?)
DBMS settings are good.
dbinit.sde is empty.

I'm a DBA by trade and new to GIS/ESRI technologies. I would appreciate any advice given.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
15 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Keep in mind that there are three parts to the ArcSDE technology -- the client application, the
application server DLLs (which may deployed in two ways), and the database instance. 

When you upgrade the application server binary, it does not automatically reconfigure the
database -- You must also do this (as the SDE user with the required permissions).

In previous releases, the ArcGIS geodatabase upgrade was a part of the 'sdesetup -o upgrade'
command, but since 10.0 was released, an ArcCatalog host (or the Python equivalent thereof)
must execute the database upgrade (the only exception is if the instance is effectively empty,
with no tables registered with the geodatabase).

The only way the application server daemon will start is if the database instance has been
successfully upgraded from a compatible Catalog (or Python).  Make sure you have a stable
backup of the database instance, since if the upgrade fails in unexpected fashion, the Catalog
GUI may not offer you the option to upgrade (I had this happen when my VPN session terminated
before CArcCatalog finished -- Not pretty).

- V
0 Kudos
RILEDN5EDN5
New Contributor
Hi,

I have also faced the same issue, could some one please let me know if the above solution resolves the issue. I have followed the below steps but could not able to succeed.

• Stop arcsde service

• Apply SP3

• Start the service again

While I was trying to start the service again, it didn't start. Tried by running the post installation but it could not run successfully resulting in the same error.(Could not start ArcSDE -- Check Network, $SDEHOME disk, DBMS settings and dbinit.sde.). The log mentions about the same error

It would be very helpful if you could help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Pranay
0 Kudos
MartinDresen
New Contributor
Hi Pranay,
did you solve your issue? We get exactly the same error message and have no idea what it is about... thanks for any answer..
Martin
0 Kudos
KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor
If the service doesn't start after applying a service pack, you must upgrade the geodatabase.  This doesn't apply to some service packs but v.10 SP 3 requires this.  Hence the: Run
the Upgrade Geodatabase tool to install/upgrade system tables (-450). 

ArcSDE 10 requires an ArcGIS client to upgrade.  Backup the database, make a direct connection to geodatabase in ArcCatalog, right click the geodatabase node, click Properties>Upgrade Geodatabase.  Allow the prerequisite check to run also.
0 Kudos
MartinDresen
New Contributor
Hi Ken,
thanks for your answer.
The next problem seems to be the required direct connection from ArcCatalog to start the Upgrade. It is not working, but I will check the forum for the specific error.

I really don't understand why ESRI replaced the good working command line upgrade functions from previous versions. This was easy and there was no need for client access...
Martin
0 Kudos
KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor
What's happening with the direct connection?  Are there any errors?
0 Kudos
EdwinSolis_Garita
New Contributor
I have the same error after the installation of the SP3, but the issue came from a new installation of ArcSDE.

I installed ArcSDE and run the complete post-installation with no issues. Then, stopped the ArcSDE service, run the SP3 and when I tried to start the service the error showed up came up. After reading the log file I just install the ArcGIS Desktop in the server to make a direct connection to the server (that went fine also) but when I tried to use the Upgrade Database tool I realized that option wasn't enabled.

Did someone know what's wrong (or I missing) here?

Regards,
0 Kudos
JamesMcGinley
New Contributor II
What is the message in the Upgrade Status area just above the Upgrade Geodatabase button?
Did you apply SP3 to ArcGIS Desktop?

You could also try using the Upgrade Geodatabase tool. 
Data Management Tools > Database > Upgrade Geodatabase.

Follow Ken's advice and have a good backup of your database.
0 Kudos
EyadHammad
New Contributor
if we cant start the SDE instance, then by fact, we cannot utilize the client as it hangs when attempting to choose the geodatabase belonging to the stopped sde instance.

any solution ?
0 Kudos