Aligning LIDAR raster with NAIP Imagery

08-04-2011 10:09 AM
JustinMcCreight
New Contributor
I am attemping to overlay a LIDAR raster image over a NAIP tile (.tiff image). First, I converted the LIDAR data from .las format to a raster file using ENVI and then mosaicked two raster images together using the Mosaic Pro tool in ERDAS. Throughout this process I have made sure to assign projection and datum information of the LIDAR raster to match that of the NAIP image. Despite that, I cannot get the raster to line up exactly with the features in the NAIP image.

Is there something I am missing in the process of this conversion that could be causing the raster to be slightly offset? I had tried every different combonation of projections, datums, etc.

Any help is very much appreciated!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Throughout this process I have made sure to assign projection and datum information of the LIDAR raster to match that of the NAIP image.

It's unlikely that the raw LAS file was collected in the same coordinate system as NAIP imagery is collected in, unless you told your Lidar data provider to do that specifically.  I'd suggested contacting the data provider and asking them what coordinates were used in collection.  Then define the raster to be whatever they say.

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos