Alternatives to using SDE command line tools - Blog Discussion

10-21-2013 07:40 AM
ChetDobbins
Esri Contributor
With the release of 10.2 and plans to deprecate the ArcSDE command line tools, you may be wondering how current tasks that use these tools can be completed elsewhere. This blog provides some workflows that have alternate user interface tools in ArcCatalog/ArcMap that will make transitioning as seamless as possible.

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2013/10/04/do-this-not-that-alternatives-to-using-sde-comma...

We are very interested in hearing feedback from everyone who uses the ArcSDE commands, including questions, concerns, and ideas for making this successful. You can also contact Esri Support Services for specific ArcSDE commands that do not have comparable replacements.

This document outlines the planned changes in platform and functionality in the ArcGIS 10.2 release and
includes a reference to ArcGIS 10.1 deprecation notes.
http://downloads2.esri.com/support/TechArticles/W26496_W25918_DEPRECATION_PLAN_FOR_ARCGIS_101_and_10...
131 Replies
TomWeisenberger
New Contributor II

In our case the locks are more than just map services, they are from users throughout the enterprise as well.

I've tried adding arcpy.AcceptConnections(Connection, False) followed by arcpy.DisconnectUser(Connection, "ALL") to the script prior to removing the spatial index, loading data, and rebuilding the index but have not had any success.

Ideally it would be best to have available a geoprocessing/arcpy tool that replicates exactly how load_only_io and normal_io command lines worked, which is flawless and efficient.  For now we will continue to use the command line for as long as possible until we can find a viable alternative.  Please let me know if there are any updates on this or tried and tested workarounds.  Thanks!

Tom Weisenberger

Los Angeles County - Enterprise GIS

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I found a bit of irony in the following bug description my agency recently ran into:

NIM103380 : Unable to identify or select features from a view created using the Create Database View tool on ST_GEOMETRY feature class.

Workaournd : Use the ArcSDE command line to create the view.

It seems removing ArcSDE command line tools makes the Esri Support toolbox a bit smaller for offering workaround suggestions.

MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Joshua - All of the defects that were created that have workarounds closely linked to using command line tools are being reviewed to be resolved. This bug appears to be a duplicate of NIM096391 and has been included as a fix for the 10.3 release. We are looking at getting this verified and documented as a duplicate.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Melissa, thanks for the update.  Interestingly enough, I looked up NIM096391 on Esri Support, and it has no information about it being fixed in any SP or version.  Hopefully the review you speak of will also look at updating the Status information of the bugs as well.  I just downloaded 10.3 pre-release and should be able to install it this weekend.  I look forward to testing the fix.

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Yes – I also noticed that these values are not being updated on the external facing sites. We will work on getting these updated as soon as possible. Please post back next week with your testing results. Thanks Joshua

JessicaKirby
New Contributor III

how am I to

sdeconfig -o export and sdeconfig –o import ?

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Jessica - There are plans to incorporate a user interface tool to export and import DBTUNE configuration files in the 10.3 release. 'Export/Import Geodatabase Configuration Keywords'.

FranciscoAcosta_Bazán
New Contributor III

we have a user/client with a trial license x days, now they purchased a permanent license, as we do to update it (GDB conection) without waiting to happen maturity, that can do the update recently ? .In  AGServer  is simple as software Authorization (option) is OK , but the connection to GDB ? We used sdesetup  ... Before

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2013/06/04/updating-the-license-for-enterprise-geodatabases...

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

This is an area of concern that users have voiced - It is taken into consideration in the following enhancement. You may also try logging an Idea or promote the existing Ideas out there that are similar -

eg: https://c.na9.visual.force.com/apex/ideaView?id=087E00000005AYZIA2

NIM095919 – SDESETUP: Create geoprocessing tools or arcpy functions for operations performed when using 'sdesetup' command

0 Kudos
AndrewWilson99
Occasional Contributor

The inclusion of a sales force URL rather than the support URL highlights another interface problem (this time in support rather than SDE)that apparently affects internal users as much as it affects non-Esri users.   Any chance for a direct URL?

0 Kudos