ArcCatalog 10: I can't delete all rows of a Feature class by using ArcToolbox-Tool

02-07-2012 11:03 AM
ScottChang
New Contributor II
Hi all,

I used Simple Data Loader to load a set of data from a dataSource.shp file to a feature class of a "blank" schema of geodatabase created in ArcCatalog 10. I found I made a mistake in loading the wrong set of data.  In the "Geoprocessing" menu, I navigated to ArcToolbox => Table => Delete Rows, and executed the "Delete Rows" process.  But it did not delete all the rows in that feature class in ArcCatalog 10 - see the attched file.   Please kindly help and advise.

Thanks,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos
3 Replies
NanaDei
Esri Contributor
Hi Scott,
From the screenshots, it seems the feature class was updated from 1464 to 1539 features. Can you post a screenshot of the geoprocessing output window after running the 'Delete Rows' tool?

The Delete Features or Delete Rows tool should achieve the same goal.

Data Management Tools > Features > Delete Features
Data Management Tools > Table > Delete Rows

Thanks
0 Kudos
ScottChang
New Contributor II
Hi mrdei,  Thanks for your nice response.

1) Let me clarify why I put the 2 screenshots in my original post: Firstly, I could not delete the 1464 rows of data in the first screenshot for the "InterceptorFix" class. Then I used the Simple Data Loader to add the "correct" data of 75 rows to the "InterceptorFix" class to end up total 1539 rows.  I tried to use the Data Management Tools > Table > Delete Rows to delete the 1539 rows of data without luck.  That is why I posted 2 screenshots in my original post.

2) This morning, after I read read your response, I used the Data Management Tools > Features > Delete Features to delete the 1539 rows of data in the "InterceptorFix" class. It worked and the 1539 rows of data in the "InterceptorFix" class are deleted - see the newly attached file in this post for details of the "Deleting" process I did and the final result of  the "no-data"  in the "InterceptorFix" class.  I am very happy to see your instruction works!!!

3) I have one question to ask you:  In the "Input Row" dialog box, I had "Show of Type: All filter listed", when I tried to delete the 1464 rows or the 1539 rows in my trial stated in 1) above.  But, I had  "Show of Type: Feature Classes", when I tried to delete the 1539 rows in my trial stated in 2) above. (See the Pages 1 & 5 of the attached file.)  What is the difference between the "Show of Type: All filter listed" and the "Show of Type: Feature Classes" in  the "Input Row" dialog box?

Please answer my above-mentioned question and respond again.

Thanks,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos
NanaDei
Esri Contributor
The 'Show of Type' is a filter that can be set to display the desired data type. Both 'Delete Rows' and 'Delete Features' tools have "All filters listed." and "Feature classes".
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11811[/ATTACH]       [ATTACH=CONFIG]11812[/ATTACH]

The "Feature Classes" filter option may have been selected when using the 'Delete Rows' tool.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11813[/ATTACH]

Thanks
0 Kudos