ArcSDE Prerelease 10.1 on a new Oracle instance won't start, says compatability issue

Jump to solution
04-17-2012 01:24 PM
MattSimmons
Occasional Contributor
I have a new oracle 11g instance where I installed ArcSDE 10.  I want to install 10.1 and so I had my DBA blow away the 10 table space (it's a dev instance).  I installed 10.1 and upon trying to start 10.1 using the sdemon -o start command I'm getting the following. 
Could there still be something from ArcSDE 10 somewhere?  Any ideas what I should check?

ArcSDE 10.1  for Oracle11g Build 611 Wed Dec 21 12:41:15  2011
-------------------------------------------------------

ST_Geometry Schema Owner: () Type Release: 0

Instance initialized for ((sde)) . . .

Connected to instance . . .

Previous SDE Server Release 0.0.0 is not compatible with the current Release 10.1.0.

Could not start ArcSDE -- Check Network, $SDEHOME disk, DBMS settings and dbinit.sde.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Yes, that is correct.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Is the listener pointing at the old ST_GEOMETRY libraries?

- V
0 Kudos
MattSimmons
Occasional Contributor
Very well could be... I'll report back...
0 Kudos
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi Matt,

Did you run the "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" tool or the "Enable Enterprise Geodatabase" tool before trying to start the sde service?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I hope there weren't any outstanding ST_GEOMETRY columns at the time SDE was blown
away -- if so, you might experience some unrecoverable referential integrity issues within
the Oracle instance 😞

- V
0 Kudos
MattSimmons
Occasional Contributor
I have not run any Create or Enable Enterprise Geodatabase tools prior to starting the service.  I was looking for sdesetup -o install to run first, which sets up a gdb for the sde user, but following the ArcSDE 10.1  installation instructions for Linux, right after running /install -load it says to start the service.  I have been wondering if there was an in between step missing. 

So what comes first at 10.1? 
1.) setting up prereq's (environment variables, sde user, etc)
2.) install ArcSDE 10.1
3.) sdemon -o start

or

1.) setting up prereq's (environment variables, sde user, etc)
2.) install ArcSDE 10.1
3.) run create enterprise geodatabase tool
4.) sdemon -o start
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Hi Matt,

The installation guide also says this:

"Before you install

You must install a database and create a geodatabase in it before you set up an ArcSDE service. Use the Create Enterprise Geodatabase geoprocessing tool, the Enable Enterprise Geodatabase geoprocessing tool, or a Python script to create a geodatabase before installing the application server and setting up a service."

The installation guide is for installing and creating a service only.  Geodatabase creation has to happen prior to that. So your steps would be:

1.) Install an ArcGIS client.
2.) Run the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool (or script).
3.) setting up prereq's (environment variables, OS sde user, etc)
4.) install ArcSDE 10.1
5.) Edit the sde and OS services files.
5.) sdemon -o start
0 Kudos
MattSimmons
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for your reply Kimberly- my steps and notes:

1.) Install an ArcGIS client.
      Done
2.) Run the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool in 10.1 ArcCatalog.
      'Cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load.  Be sure the database client software is installed and configured correctly.'
       I also tried running the sdesetup -o install command via Putty.  Strangely, in comparing the usage for sdesetup between my 10.0 ArcSDE and this attempt at 10.1, I see in the 10.1 usage that sdesetup -o install is missing.  In other words, sdesetup options for 10.0 include:

-o install  

-o upgrade  

-o delete   

-o list

-o update_key

-o install_st_raster

-o prerequisite_check

And here's the sdesetup options for this 10.1 istance that I'm seeing.  Notice that -install (among others) is missing:

-o delete

-o list 

-o update_key

-o install_st_raster

3.) setting up prereq's (environment variables, OS sde user, etc)
     Done
4.) install ArcSDE 10.1
     Done using the /install -load command
5.) Edit the sde and OS services files.
     Done
5.) sdemon -o start
     Will occur last

I'm super confused - What am I missing??  I set up my 10.0 SDE instance the same way, first installing ArcSDE then running sdesetup -o install.   Could it be a bad install?
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
You cannot use the sdesetup command to create a geodatabase at 10.1; that's why install is no longer a listed operation.

Sorry - I didn't elaborate on the ArcGIS client step.  If the ArcGIS client is on a machine separate from the DBMS, you must install the DBMS client on the machine with the ArcGIS client to connect to the database.  That's why you got the "database client software failed to load" message; there likely is not an Oracle client on the machine where you installed Desktop.  See the Setting up a geodatabase in Oracle section of this topic, it has an overview of creating a geodatabase in Oracle at 10.1.

http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/A_quick_tour_of_setting_up_a_geodataba...
0 Kudos
MattSimmons
Occasional Contributor
I think the issue may be in the syntax on the Spatial Database Connection window?  My DBA has already set up the tablespace, sde user and permissions, and I've updated the variables; which means I'll be using the "Enable Enterprise Database" tool in Arc.

So the first thing I need to do to connect to the Oracle database.  I've installed the Oracle 11g 64-bit full client on the client machine, since it's not the same as the Oracle machine.  I can connect to the database using SQLPlus, no problem.  But every time I try to establish a database connection through Arc, I get the same message: 'Cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load. Be sure the database client software is installed and configured correctly.'

When comparing the connection properties window of a Version 10 connection, it looks like:
Server: samplegisdata
Service: port5151
Database

Username: xxxx
Password: xxxx

But at Version 10.1 the connection properties window has changed and looks like:
Database Platform: Oracle
Instance:

Username: xxxx
Password: xxxx

I'm going through the methodology in the 10.1 Help which says:
"The name of the Oracle server:Oracle port number/Oracle service name or ID
In this example, Oracle is installed on myserver, is listening on port 60000, and myoservice is the Oracle service name.
myserver:60000/myoservice"

In this case, the above statement translates to "samplegisdata:1521/mwtst" but that is not working... What the heck??
0 Kudos