Auto apply Shape.STLength measurements to new Shape_Len field

2 weeks ago
wgreen90
New Contributor

I've noticed the Shape.STLength field does not get brought over into the enterprise portal after publishing. I have created a new field named Shape_Len and performed a field calculation where Shape_Len = Shape.STLength and it populates the new field successfully and appears in the portal when publishing. The issue I'm trying to figure out is that when I create a new line segment my new field doesn't auto populate similarly to the Shape.STLength field, it remains <NULL>. Is there a way to auto populate my new field whenever a new line segment is created or modified with the same value in Shape.STLength?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@wgreen90 

Introduction to attribute rules—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I was having the same issues trying to do a dashboard in AGOL.  The Shape.STLength field isn't actually in the enterprise table, but is somehow connected 'on the fly'.

There is probably a better way, but to overcome this, I created a view in SQL Server, then registered that view with the database.

CREATE VIEW [dbo].[_WatermainsView]
AS
SELECT         Material, Owner, Shape.STLength() AS Length, Shape.STLength() / 5280 AS Miles, Shape, OBJECTID
FROM dbo.WPRESSURIZEDMAIN

I then load that view instead of the featureclass for my services. 

This example will not only have a column named "Length" that is in map units (equal to what the Shape.STLenght() is) as well as as a column named "Miles" that is miles so I don't need to do the convertion in the dashboard or popups.

R_

VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The third option is an ON INSERT OR UPDATE trigger to preserve the contents of the actual column.

- V

0 Kudos