Automatically Select Related Records from a Query:

07-31-2012 05:39 AM
MarkEnglish
New Contributor II
Hello:
I have a geodatabase that houses a primary table with jurisdictional plans.  A plan may relate to multiple jurisdictional boundary types such as counties and cities.  To address this, a second table (Jurisdictions) was designed to house all potential jurisdictional boundaires using a one (Plans) to many (Potential Jurisdictions).  The many are simply combined records of every potential boundary using the FIPS codes.  The unique identifier is the plan number. 

To geospatially enable the data, a one to one relationshp is connected from the jurisdictional table to the census feature classes.  A one to one for the counties, and a one to one for the communities (cities) using the FIPs as the unique identifier.  If I write a query for the plans, subsequently wanting to select all GIS areas, I have to choose the relationship, I have to slected the related tables option three times to get my results.  Is there a method to automate the selection of the related tables, so if I ran a query for plans, it would then automatically select the jurisdictions associated with that plan, and in turn select their geographic counter parts?

I would also like the relationship capability to work the other way, for instance, which plans are associated with which queried geographic entities.  For instance:  which plans are associated with this community AND this county.  Because of the multiple one to one relationships, is there a way to add to selected features after the first relationship is performed?  It over-rights the current selection each time, limiting my ability to discover how many plans are associated with two types of jurisdictional boundaries.  Thanks for any input you may have in helping with this matter!
0 Kudos
0 Replies