Beginner question

04-29-2012 10:37 AM
jkkl
by
New Contributor
I am completely in the dark here. I was pointed in the direction of this tool to accomplish the following:

I am a .Net developer. I need to create a feature where I can show a person where the user can select different parts (arm, leg, head etc)
I am using a 3rd party framework that support shapefiles.

I downloaded this monster 🙂 of a software that does not seem quite intuitive (at least to accomplish the task I am looking for)

So, basically I need to draw a person and make parts of the person selectable. I started out with the ArcCatalog and created an empty shapefile. Then I went to the ArcMap and managed to create a polygon, Yeah!! 🙂 How do I Import an Image and then start drawing on that image? Is there a basic hello world tutorial available?? I couldnt find it, and yeah... I Googled tons to find something simple to start out with.

Help much appreciated
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TiffanyPuett
Occasional Contributor II
Fun project! Save the image as a tif. Use the spatial adjustment toolbar in arcmap. Click the dropdown to fit image to display. Draw on it using a shapefile or feature class as a target. Open the attribute table to add a field for "body part" and then add the name of the body part.

Although this won' t get you all the way to your .net solution, it is a good place to start.
0 Kudos