best way to convert a csv file with UTM to lat long

06-16-2016 08:33 AM
MarinaMeter
New Contributor III

I have a huge amount of .csv files each with hundreds of rows and each has its own value of an easting and northing

How can i quickly change these UTM coordinates and convert them to a lat/long  coordinate value using ArcMap.

What might you suggest is the most efficient method? Im very new to this, so any help and details is greatly apprecaited

0 Kudos
39 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Nope... I live at latitude 45ish North our northing is in the 5,000,000ish range... you are further north, ergo your northing would be greater than mine since you are further north and the northing is measured from the equator as a reference point... so you eastings and northings surely are not UTM.  They have been alter to some other base reference and/or they are in a different projection.

MarinaMeter
New Contributor III

-114 0 0.00000 /* central meridian

42 0 0.00000 /* latitude of the origin

2500000.0000 /* false easting (meters)

1200000.0000 /* false northing (meters)

LOAD_PROJECTION PROJ_NAME="TM_NAD83"

with a little bit of diggiging i discovered it

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

So, did you find the correct projection? If not, you may be able to get to the right one by altering the UTM Zone 11 CRS properties (double-click UTM Zone 11 to get to properties). The scale parameter may be different, though.

Is one of your points here?

MarinaMeter
New Contributor III

Yep, they used NAD83 TM (Meters), after finding the false easting i was able to locate the projection of TM

the other data sets had NAD83 UTM 11

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Marina, no projection parameters?

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

See if you can copy them to this and see where it shows up. Just do a couple of them.

The World Coordinate Converter

0 Kudos
MarinaMeter
New Contributor III

used it, BINGO............were in mexico again. oh my goodness!

0 Kudos
MarinaMeter
New Contributor III

I really like that tool too!

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Who gave you those coordinates ? This is something you need to ask them where did these  came from before your frustrated set in ?

0 Kudos
MarinaMeter
New Contributor III

Indeed Robert,

i worked on the other files and they matched up excellent in ArcMap, using the above methods; save to x,y extent, add fields, and finally convert to shapefile and calculate the geometry. I also know there is a batch file converter in arcmap, i haven't played with it yet. My goal is/was to make a data model in model builder of the process and let the engineers(people)  convert their hearts out. Its not so easy!

0 Kudos