Both Extend Tools Do Nothing or Hang

03-07-2011 08:29 AM
ToraJohnson
New Contributor III
Hi,

I'm not sure if this should be a bug report or if it's "user error0". Either way, I'm eager for help. I'm using ArcInfo 10 on Windows 7, 32 bit. The problem happens on all the machines I've tried. I am doing a topology cleanup on parcels layers--a whole county of them, and I have many dangles to fix. The extend line tool on the Advanced Editing Toolbar does extend some lines and then crashes. The extend line tool in the toolbox will extend lines in a layer that has a few dangles, up to about 10 or 15 in a layer and ~100, but hangs for HOURS and never completes with a layer that has more dangles or features. I have a couple dozen layers, each with a few hundred of these dangles, and I really don't want to edit them all by hand.

What can I do?

Thanks,
TJ
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
If the dangles' gaps are smaller than an acceptable tolerance, or at least most are, you might run an Integrate.  There are some Arcscripts that got rid of dangles, like the Topology Support Tools, (I've never used it), which may or may not work in 10.  ETGeowizards has a wizard for getting rid of dangle but it is not one of the free tools.  Then there is the manually breaking up a layer by selecting sections of the lines and fixing the dangles if that gets you under the mysterious limit before the software fails.
0 Kudos