Can't edit attributes of SDE feature class with joined table

03-07-2012 01:49 PM
davidhiggins
New Contributor II
After I join an SDE feature class to another table in the same SDE, I can create features but can't edit any attributes in the feature class (all greyed out in attribute window). As soon as i release the join everything back to normal. ArcSDE Version 9.3 ArcSDE Server Build for Oracle10g Build 546 Thu Sep 18 12:35:50  2008, Arcgis 10.0 SP2 desktop and ArcInfo level licence. Is this a bug? or is there a setting I can't find??
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks for your reply Sean and the link.

What happens when one of the feature classes is versioned and the other is not? In this scenario I switch off versioning as you describe and I get the warning message: incorrect edit version type.

By default exports of data are not versioned unless one runs a toolbox to version them or they do the versioning in ArcCatalogue, remembering not to add the data into ArcMap first or it will be locked until the ArcMap application is quit.

Kind regards

Tim
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply Sean and the link.

What happens when one of the feature classes is versioned and the other is not? In this scenario I switch off versioning as you describe and I get the warning message: incorrect edit version type.

By default exports of data are not versioned unless one runs a toolbox to version them or they do the versioning in ArcCatalogue, remembering not to add the data into ArcMap first or it will be locked until the ArcMap application is quit.

All the feature classes have to be of the same type in the edit session for it to work (all registered as versioned or all non-registered as versioned etc). Additionally you cant start an edit session on a feature class that participates in a relationship with the other type.

Yes the default unregistered behavior can be annoying. Lots of things to look at for 11.
0 Kudos
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks for your reply Sean.

I've not yet used relationship classes, although I have used the relate command. It will no doubt be something I get into.

For my current piece of work I have a fairly convoluted work flow because I find it easier to do the SQL I wish to write in Oracle, via SQL Developer, than in ArcGIS. I then export this into the SDE and do a join in ArcMap to update a column.

Whilst some of this might be possible directly in ArcMap, I have had problems preforming joins in ArcMap
[http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/65788-Getting-invalid-identifier-when-doing-select-by-attribute-que...]

There are a reasonable number of minor and not so minor annoyances I would like to see changed; added or removed from ArcGIS.

Kind regards

Tim
0 Kudos
davidhiggins
New Contributor II
Yes my original problem is fixed thanks, using 10.0 SP5
cheers dave
0 Kudos
AaronKreag
Occasional Contributor

Yes.  Installed 10 SP5 on a client machine and this fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
SolanaFoo4
New Contributor III

The Bug IS BACK!  Exporting fc as table and doing the join worked though.  I'm in ArcMap 10.5.1, using SQL Server 2012 db.

0 Kudos