Can't get Distributed Database replication to work.

07-25-2012 12:36 PM
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III
I've been stumbling along towards distributive databases to see if it will serve as a way for a cooperative interagengy data system for my region. For my testing I copied a feature class and several auxillary tables into SDE, added global ids and published a map service and geodata service of the feature class. My server is using ArcGIS 9.3.1 and ArcServer 9.3.1, SDE with SQL server. 

Well, the global ids are in there, it's registered as versioned, the spatial reference system is high res, but I still haven't been to do any of the distributed database stuff, like extraction or create a local copy for editing or create any level of replica.

In ArcMap 10.0 on a client PC, if I try right clicking the goedatabase service in a map TOC, and try "Edit Features>Create Local copy for editing"  I get "Create Replica failed The requested capabiltiy is not supported."

If I try the Extract Data Wizard from the distributed geodatabase toolbar to a client PC personal geodatabase, I get "Data extraction failed Generic server error message. 

When I try the toolbar's Create Replica Check-out, I get "Create Replica failed. The requested capabiltiy is not supported."

When I try the toolbar's Create Replica Wizard, one way, parent to child to a client PC file geodatabase, I get "Create Replica failed. The requested capabiltiy is not supported."

When I try the toolbar's Create Replica Wizard on the SDE feature class, one way, parent to child to a client PC file geodatabase, I get "Create Replica failed. Network I/O error [spawning.sde.GDB_ObjectClasses} Network I/O error."

Update: I went back to my server and recreated the map service and the geodata service to make sure the box "versioned with the option to more edits to base" was not checked.  But I still get the same errors on my client PC when I try to edit or create replicas.  Howver, I noticed a moderate level warning from ArcServer Manager 9.3.1 when I published the services that it "contains data from SDE that is not a direct connection".  Is this a requirement for distributed databases?

Update: I went back to the server and made a direct SDE connection to the geodatabase, created a new map project with the Feature Class added from the direct connection, and published a new map service and geodata service.  Still, the data replication stuff didn't work for me.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I use replication through SDE, not server. I wonder if part of the issue is 9.3.1 to 10.

Sorry, not much help.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III
I found 9.3.1 on an older laptop that I use when traveling to my other office. I had a ridiculous amount of trouble getting it logged into this network so it could get a license over this office's network.  However, I'm getting the same error messages with 9.3.1 ArcMap Distributed Geodatabase toolbar as with 10.0.
0 Kudos