Can't publish service with sde 10.1 standalone table

10-18-2011 01:33 PM
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III
I've got two MXDs with the same exact data except one is connected to 10.1 SDE and one is connected to 9.3 SDE. There is one feature class layer and one standalone table in the MXDs.  I can successfully publish a service via ArcMap 10.1 from the MXD that is pointing to the 9.3 SDE but can't publish a service pointing to the 10.1 SDE. I get an "unidentified error".  Now, if I remove the standalone table from the MXD that's pointing to the 10.1 SDE, the service publishes just fine. If I add the table back to the MXD... fail.

Can anyone else try this and see if you get the same results... assuming you've got 10.1 SDE up and running. Not sure if this is an AGS issue or an SDE issue... In ArcMap, the table acts just fine. I can edit it, view it, etc...

This works fine with 10.0x AGS pointing at a 9.3x SDE database.

UPDATE:
If I access the standalone table via the "SDE" user data connection, I can publish the service just fine. If I go back to my designated user connection which has read/write/etc... (I can edit the table in arcmap just fine), the publish fails.  Note however, that you can't just add a stand alone table to ArcMap and publish/share that as a service. You need to add in at least one feature class. Not sure why that is required and hopefully that restriction will be lifted in subsequent releases.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GaryMacDougall
Esri Contributor
Royce

Thanks for the feedback!

What type of service are you creating. Is it a map service or feature service?

thanks
Gary
0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson
Royce

Thanks for the feedback!

What type of service are you creating. Is it a map service or feature service?

thanks
Gary

Feature Service was my original need but I've discovered that it doesn't matter.  The results mentioned above happen with or without feature service.

I do have further update on this.  Currently we maintain an SDE schema database and have users that have various permissions.

Today I created a new "test" user and created an all new "user-schema geodatabase" off of the master sde schema database.  I then added a feature class and a standalone table in that new user-schema gdb.  Added those to arcmap and was successful at publishing the service.

So, something just isn't right with our current setup as far as 10.1 goes but that strategy has worked from 9.3 through 10.0x.
0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson
The db is Oracle 11g, btw.
0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor
I've got two MXDs with the same exact data except one is connected to 10.1 SDE and one is connected to 9.3 SDE. There is one feature class layer and one standalone table in the MXDs.  I can successfully publish a service via ArcMap 10.1 from the MXD that is pointing to the 9.3 SDE but can't publish a service pointing to the 10.1 SDE. I get an "unidentified error".  Now, if I remove the standalone table from the MXD that's pointing to the 10.1 SDE, the service publishes just fine. If I add the table back to the MXD... fail.

Can anyone else try this and see if you get the same results... assuming you've got 10.1 SDE up and running. Not sure if this is an AGS issue or an SDE issue... In ArcMap, the table acts just fine. I can edit it, view it, etc...

This works fine with 10.0x AGS pointing at a 9.3x SDE database.

UPDATE:
If I access the standalone table via the "SDE" user data connection, I can publish the service just fine. If I go back to my designated user connection which has read/write/etc... (I can edit the table in arcmap just fine), the publish fails.  Note however, that you can't just add a stand alone table to ArcMap and publish/share that as a service. You need to add in at least one feature class. Not sure why that is required and hopefully that restriction will be lifted in subsequent releases.

There has been a NIM logged for the ability to publish a standalone table as a service:
NIM084140 - Unable to share a map containing only a stand-alone table as service.
0 Kudos