Changing styles for certain Attributes

Jump to solution
11-06-2012 06:43 AM
TonySurber
New Contributor
I am new to ESRI and I would like to know if there is a way to create a sub-layer for a certain attribute with the main layer. If this is possible please let me know the steps or where I can find information to create this layer.

Thank You
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
Then you should be able to symbolize by Category. Right click the layer, select properties, select Symbology, and symbolize by Category. Select the one field that has your values and click Add all Values. You should then be able to switch the symbology for both the Aerial and Underground features. I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LucasDanzinger
What exactly do you mean by a sub layer for an attribute? Maybe an example would help.

-Luke
0 Kudos
TonySurber
New Contributor
For an example I am inputting fiber optic cable with attributes and my layer is for all fiber for a certain customer now in that layer I would like to style all aerial attribute to a certain color & all underground to a certain color. Does this clarify?
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Would Aerial and Underground be two separate fields?

Or alternatively, it this all under one field, such as "Type" with values of "Aerial" and "Underground" underneath it?
0 Kudos
TonySurber
New Contributor
Yes it is all under one field.
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Then you should be able to symbolize by Category. Right click the layer, select properties, select Symbology, and symbolize by Category. Select the one field that has your values and click Add all Values. You should then be able to switch the symbology for both the Aerial and Underground features. I hope this helps!
0 Kudos
TonySurber
New Contributor
Thank is exactly what I was looking for thanks.

Tony
0 Kudos