Changing the default address locator - PLEASE HELP!

06-18-2013 11:03 AM
NatalieBuchwald
New Contributor III
I am trying to edit the system default locator in ArcMap and add our own custom locator that is published to ArcGIS Server as the default locator when people open a new ArcMap session. I am editing the DefaultLocators.xml found on my PC here: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\Locators. My code looks like this:

<!-- City of Gillettes Composite Locator -->
<locator_ref>
  <name>CompositeLocator</name>
  <display_name>COG Composite Locator</display_name>
  <workspace_properties>
   <factory_progid>esriGISClient.AGSServerConnectionFactory</factory_progid>
   <ags_connection_properties>
    <url>http://gis.gillettewy.gov/arcgis/rest/services/COGPublic/CompositeLocator/GeocodeServer</url>
   </ags_connection_properties>
  </workspace_properties>
</locator_ref>

I don't understand why I cannot see my locator when I open a new map session. Am I using the wrong URL (the URL above is the REST URL of the service from a Publisher connection) or is there a piece that is missing, I tried all the help documents and haven't found a solution. Please help!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NatalieBuchwald
New Contributor III
I found the answer to my own question by continuing to play around with it. The problem was that I wasn't putting the full locator name in the Service Name section, because the locator was stored in a folder on the ArcGIS Server I needed to add that folder name before the service name. Anyway, its fixed and maybe my brain fart will help someone else in the future. Below is what the code ended up looking like:

<!-- City of Gillettes Composite Locator -->
<locator_ref>
  <name>COGPublic/CompositeLocator</name>
  <display_name>COG Composite Locator</display_name>
  <workspace_properties>
   <factory_progid>esriGISClient.AGSServerConnectionFactory</factory_progid>
   <ags_connection_properties>
    <url>http://gis.gillettewy.gov/arcgis/services</url>
   </ags_connection_properties>
  </workspace_properties>
</locator_ref>
xandermavrides
New Contributor II
I am so glad I found your post!!!! I also organize in folders and I'm sure most do too.
0 Kudos