constructing points along a line

05-09-2012 07:29 AM
steveSuperczynski
New Contributor
Is anyone else having issues with constructing points through the Editor toolbar? I followed the instructions in ArcGIS help and when I attempt to create the points it gives me an error saying the point features could not be created because the map does not contain a point target...even though I created a point feature in ArcCatalog and added it to the map.

Anyone able to shed some light on why this will not work?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
What version of arcGIS?

Is the editing session set to the folder where your point file is located?
0 Kudos
steveSuperczynski
New Contributor
Sorry, I am using ArcMap 10 sp3.

How do I check to see which folder the session is pointed to?
0 Kudos
RhondaGlennon
Also, make sure you have a feature template for the point layer you want to create in, and that the point layer is visible on the map.
0 Kudos
steveSuperczynski
New Contributor
The point layer has a template(as far as I can tell) and it is visible.
0 Kudos
TerrySilveus
The point layer has a template(as far as I can tell) and it is visible.

you should be able to tell, because you need to click on the template feature (to select the attribute/feature type) before you click on the map to place your point.

as far as the folder your editing session is set to, you do that when you start the editing session, just make sure you either pick the layer specifically or select the folder that you *know* the shapefile is in.
0 Kudos
steveSuperczynski
New Contributor
OK, I figured out what was going wrong. I was not in the right folder after all.  I have a different problem now and that is the number of points you are able to create. 1000 points seems to be the limit as the 'OK' button is greyed out if you enter in a number higher than that. Is this a setting that can be changed somewhere?

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
RhondaGlennon
The default limit was implemented to maintain performance while working with the Divide command in ArcGIS 9, which became Split and Construct Points in ArcGIS 10. In some cases, particularly when dividing by distance, you could inadvertently create and flash very large numbers of features.

To increase the limit, try creating this registry key. Start the Windows Registry Editor, navigate to  HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > ESRI > Desktop10.0 > ArcMap > Garcia, right-click, and click New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name it MaxDivisionPoints. Right-click the key, click Modify, and enter 2000 (or the maximum you want) for the Value data. Flashing on Split will only occur if fewer than 100 features are created. This works in ArcGIS 10 SP3 and newer service packs.
0 Kudos
steveSuperczynski
New Contributor
Great, thanks!
0 Kudos
MiqdadAnwarie
New Contributor
can we use this point along a line with decimal number in distance?
0 Kudos