Creating domain values for SDE FCs

07-05-2010 03:36 AM
VaL
by
New Contributor III
Hi
I need to create 10s of SDE FC with a lot of domains each. So it is enormous task, since some of the domains will have 200+ values. And each FC will have at least 3-4 domains. Also some of the FCs will have the same domains.
2 questions:
Is there a way of creating the values for a domain automatically or import them to the list?
Is there a way to share a domain with its' values to more than one FC?

Running 9.3.1 SDE 64bit/Oracle 10g 64 on win2008

Thanks a lot?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CherylCleghorn
Esri Contributor
Have you already looked into the 'Table to Domain' geoprocessing tool? Once a domain is created it can be assigned to any feature class attribute as long as the field type matches that of the domain.
0 Kudos
PaulGraham
New Contributor
Vasil,

To the Second Question: Is there a way of creating the values for a domain automatically or import them to the list?

If the values exist in you current feature class, summarize on the target column and save. This will provide an output export table with a single entry for each unique value. You can then add a code field/column to the table, populate with a code and use the table to domain tool to populate your domain.

This method is most useful with text fields.

Review this for domain related info: http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=An_overview_of_the_Domains_toolset

Paul Graham
pgraham@florenceal.org
0 Kudos
AntonioFedato
New Contributor
Let me explain... I have a main table with some fields and um of these fields are filled by a domain that the values come from a table with cod and description. As the content of these second table is dinamic, I´d like to built a domain with it.
Is it possible to have a dinamic domain?
0 Kudos