Deleting excess outer map by using a shapefile as a polygon

08-09-2011 07:50 AM
JamesGriffiths
New Contributor
Hi, i'll try and make this as easy to understand for my first post.

I'm using ArcMap 9.2.

Ok, I've created a NDVI raster for a large map I have so the date ranges from -1 -> 1.
I also have a shapefile as a seperate layer.

What i'm trying to do is use the shapefile as a mask to cut away the excess map that I don't need.

I can do this using the extraction tool (spatial analyst -> extraction -> extract by mask), the clip tool (data management -> raster -> clip) or by using the analysis mask under the spatial analyst toolbar analyst mask (spatial analyst -> options -> general) and then evaluating my NDVI layer in the raster calculator).

However, my problem is that when I complete this on my NDVI layer, the remaining, useful, output raster has data ranging from -0.3 -> 0.6 (not the original -1 -> 1).

How do i stop the data changing as such so that it remains as the same data range as the orginal layer.

Am I simply not ticking the correct box somewhere along the line?

Your help would be appreciated, thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkEllis
New Contributor II
Is there any chance that the values -1 to -0.4 and 0.7+ only lie within the area you have masked?
0 Kudos
TimothyTresohlavy
New Contributor
Rather than deleting, would it be easier to just cover these areas? Or are you interested in removing the excess data and saving refresh time?

Under Data Frame Properties > Data Frame > Extent Used by Full Extent Command > Other: > Specify Extent > Outline of Features > Layer: [select mask shapefile]. This essentially tells ArcMap "Don't show me anything beyond the limits of this shapefile", however it does not modify any of your original datasets. Much like a Definition Query.
0 Kudos