Direct Connect driver release isn't compatible with ArcSde database instance release

03-14-2013 02:51 PM
JasonAmato
New Contributor
I am a vendor working on some customer problems.  One of my inititives is to backup their existing Microsoft SQL server 2008 R2 64-bit databases, including some arcgis ones.   I have been successfully able to restore databases, but when my product starts any GIS-related function gives an application error that the "Direct Connect driver release isn't compatible with ArcSde database instance release"   I've included the entire text of the Windows application log error.  

As I understand it, this error is thrown when a version of ARCSDE is incompatible with ARCGIS Runtime Engine.  When running the patchfinder.exe utlility, both ArcGIS Engine  Runtime 9.3 Service Pack  1 and ArcGIS ArcSDE for SQL Server 9.3 Service Pack 1 are visible.   After installing ArcSDE 9.3 SP1, I ran the post installation utility and upgraded the geodatabases.  

Does anyone know what else we can try?  Should we try to upgrade to 9.3.1?  If so, where can I obain a copy of ArcGIS Engine Runtime 9.3.1? 

Full text:

ServerName: PremierOne_01_GIS
LoggerName: pswgs.gis
Level: CRITICAL
ErrorCode: 794040913595727872
Message: Open SDE workspace 172.25.100.50\Premierone, sde:sqlserver:172.25.100.50\Premierone, GISSDE_DATASET_A, S-P1-GISSDE-Reader, sde.DEFAULT error.
Has Been Logged: False
Original Fault ID: 1d2ba46e-781c-4c39-8d18-b6feebf61492
Message Key:
Error Code: 0
Application Name:
Logger Name:
Inner Exception:
PSWGS.GIS.Geospatial.GeospatialException: Could not open SDE geodatabase using connection properties: 'PSWGS.GIS.GisCommon.SdeDirectConnectionProps') ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800501C2): ArcSde Direct Connect driver release isn't compatible with ArcSde database instance release[Incompatible ArcSde direct connect driver/ database instance release. A]
   at ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.IWorkspaceFactory.Open(IPropertySet ConnectionProperties, Int32 hWnd)
   at PSWGS.GIS.Geospatial.SdeWorkspaceManager.TryOpenSDEWorkspace(SdeDirectConnectionProps connectionProperties) in c:\b\68\189\Sources\Product\GIS\Development\Common\Software\ProductCode\GeospatialCommon\Geospatial\SdeWorkspace\SdeWorkspaceManager.cs:line 517
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at PSWGS.GIS.Geospatial.SdeWorkspaceManager.TryOpenSDEWorkspace(SdeDirectConnectionProps connectionProperties) in c:\b\68\189\Sources\Product\GIS\Development\Common\Software\ProductCode\GeospatialCommon\Geospatial\SdeWorkspace\SdeWorkspaceManager.cs:line 553
   at PSWGS.GIS.Geospatial.SdeWorkspaceManager.OpenSDEWorkspace(SdeWorkspaceInfo sdeWorkspaceInfo) in c:\b\68\189\Sources\Product\GIS\Development\Common\Software\ProductCode\GeospatialCommon\Geospatial\SdeWorkspace\SdeWorkspaceManager.cs:line 461
0 Kudos
2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
SQL-Server 2012 support was introduced at ArcGIS 10.1 SP1.  The highest
SQL-Server release supported on ArcGIS 9.3 SP1 was SQL-Server 2008
(ArcGIS 9.3.1 introduced SQL-Server 2008 R2 support).

You probably want to pursue this with Tech Support directly.

- V
0 Kudos
JasonAmato
New Contributor
SQL-Server 2012 support was introduced at ArcGIS 10.1 SP1.  The highest
SQL-Server release supported on ArcGIS 9.3 SP1 was SQL-Server 2008
(ArcGIS 9.3.1 introduced SQL-Server 2008 R2 support).

You probably want to pursue this with Tech Support directly.

- V

Correction on this item.  We are using SQL 2008 R2 SP2.  I was getting my versions mixed up.
0 Kudos