Displaying B-Spline Curve elements in Desktop 10.1

Jump to solution
04-15-2013 11:12 AM
JeremyHatfield1
New Contributor III
I see that there is a bug ticket NIM032635 that is on hold for this since version 8.2.  As that was a really long time ago, is there any workaround for displaying B-Spline Curve elements in ArcGIS Desktop?  I don't have access to Microstation to re-save these in another format or to remove the B-Spline Curve elements.  Am I basically out of luck converting tens of thousands of DGN files into a nice GIS view?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor
I understand.  I was hoping to confirm that your DGNs are read correctly.  I can tell you that in the upcoming release, my test cases of DGN BSplines work correctly.

Unfortunately, the files are proprietary and aren't ours to give out.  I can give you all of the details for the B-Spline if you would like, but from my understanding after reading various posts going back a few years and seeing the ticket still listed as On Hold, all B-Splines will not display in ArcGIS Desktop.  So any DGN with a B-Spline in it should be possible to test with.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor
Could you attach a sample DGN?

I see that there is a bug ticket NIM032635 that is on hold for this since version 8.2.  As that was a really long time ago, is there any workaround for displaying B-Spline Curve elements in ArcGIS Desktop?  I don't have access to Microstation to re-save these in another format or to remove the B-Spline Curve elements.  Am I basically out of luck converting tens of thousands of DGN files into a nice GIS view?
0 Kudos
JeremyHatfield1
New Contributor III
Unfortunately, the files are proprietary and aren't ours to give out.  I can give you all of the details for the B-Spline if you would like, but from my understanding after reading various posts going back a few years and seeing the ticket still listed as On Hold, all B-Splines will not display in ArcGIS Desktop.  So any DGN with a B-Spline in it should be possible to test with.
0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor
I understand.  I was hoping to confirm that your DGNs are read correctly.  I can tell you that in the upcoming release, my test cases of DGN BSplines work correctly.

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

You are probably already familiar with this, but this older thread has some more detailed info about B-spline issues (e.g. see remark Ray Carnes - ESRI Technical Marketing) and some test datasets:
http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=982&t=266100
0 Kudos
JeremyHatfield1
New Contributor III
Karen,

That sounds great.  I look forward to trying it out whenever that gets released.  Maybe the next release will also import multiple text objects from a cell, too?  😉   Cells and B-Splines are currently my two issues when trying to convert all of these files to GIS.  Well, that and trying to get everything to line up to the correct coordinates when the DGNs used their own "coordinate" system that doesn't directly translate.  But I can handle the coordinates even if it takes a lot of work.  Missing information is one thing I can't do much about.  Though, since you're part of the CAD group, maybe you can suggest a flat map base map option that works well with DGN files?  Everything I've worked with so far has been the rounded maps and that makes it difficult to line everything up correctly over large distances.  Once I get it laid out on a flat map, I can look into getting it to display on a regular map so I can put in on our Online account.  For now, an offline option is a good start.

I'm going to look into the Data Interoperability piece mentioned in the linked thread to see if that helps any.
0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor
Alas no...the multiple text objects in a cell problem is a deep and nasty one.  It isn't resolved in the next release.

I'm not really a coordinate system expert, but I'd probably set my data frame to one of the state plane coordinate systems before adding my base map.  I'd also assign that coordinate system to the CAD drawing.  One of my coworkers is giving a presentation at the user conference in San Diego on just that subject...Lining up CAD Data.  If you happen to be there...

Karen,

That sounds great.  I look forward to trying it out whenever that gets released.  Maybe the next release will also import multiple text objects from a cell, too?  😉   Cells and B-Splines are currently my two issues when trying to convert all of these files to GIS.  Well, that and trying to get everything to line up to the correct coordinates when the DGNs used their own "coordinate" system that doesn't directly translate.  But I can handle the coordinates even if it takes a lot of work.  Missing information is one thing I can't do much about.  Though, since you're part of the CAD group, maybe you can suggest a flat map base map option that works well with DGN files?  Everything I've worked with so far has been the rounded maps and that makes it difficult to line everything up correctly over large distances.  Once I get it laid out on a flat map, I can look into getting it to display on a regular map so I can put in on our Online account.  For now, an offline option is a good start.

I'm going to look into the Data Interoperability piece mentioned in the linked thread to see if that helps any.
0 Kudos
JeremyHatfield1
New Contributor III
Thanks.  I'll see what happens using the state plane maps.  I'd love to go to that conference, but I'm on the other side of the country and I don't think my company will send me there for that.  I'm still new to this process, so I'm learning better ways to do things every day.  I'll probably get it figured out after I spend enough time trying things.  I appreciate the help.
0 Kudos