Dreaded Schema Lock Error 000464

12-11-2012 09:19 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I have a versioned SDE/SQL database in which resides a particular feature class that I'd like to update the spatial indexes on.  Of course I get the dreaded

"ERROR 000464:  Cannot get exclusive schema lock. Either being edited or in use by another application"

Is there a method to discover where the conflicting lock or locks are and how to release them?  I don't have any users currently logged on and there are no published services that use the feature class.
That should just about do it....
5 Replies
ChristopherBlinn1
Occasional Contributor III
Joe,

Does using the SDEMON command display only locks from your machine?

sdemon -o info -I users

-Chris B.
0 Kudos
Drew
by
In 10.1 right click on the Geodatabase in ArcCatalog and select "Administer" ->Administer Geodatabase

There is a Locks tab there that might help you..

This is all assuming you are using 10.1
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Joe,

Does using the SDEMON command display only locks from your machine?

sdemon -o info -I users

-Chris B.

In 10.1 right click on the Geodatabase in ArcCatalog and select "Administer" ->Administer Geodatabase

There is a Locks tab there that might help you..

This is all assuming you are using 10.1

Chris-  sdemon shows nobody when I run it. 

CGISShack-  still using 10.0

Thanks for the replies none the less!
0 Kudos
Drew
by
Then your solution is SQL Server Activity Monitor..
See the "Processes" Panel. There are filters you can apply from the column headings that will allow you to dig into the DB you are interested in.

It's a little cumbersome, but with a little reading you should be able to get it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191199%28v=sql.105%29.aspx

Note: You can right click on a process and "Kill Process" to remove the lock you find.

Drew
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Andrew; I followed your link and started poking around in sql manager.  What was interesting to me is that showed a whole bunch of my users with processes running.  Then the light went on.

I shut down my sde service and restarted it.  Back in sql manager, all those processes went away.

I built my spatial indexes so I'm good to go.

Thanks for your insight!