Edit spatial data with "ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1" in non-SDE RDBMS systems?

07-27-2011 04:57 AM
danan
by
Occasional Contributor III
(Caveat: More properly this is an ArcGIS Desktop question. I posted there first with no response: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/35648-Edit-spatial-data-with-quot-ArcGIS-for-Desktop-10.1-quot-in-n...

At the UC it was said you can now access spatial and tabular data in other RDBMS systems without SDE. At 10 this was true on a read-only basis with Query Layers. At 10.1, can users now also *edit* spatial data in non-SDE instances using "ArcGIS for Desktop" (ArcMap)? The use case: being able to edit SDO_GEOMETRY data (Oracle Spatial) on an Oracle instance that is not itself a geodatabase. Of course you wouldn't have an ArcSDE versioning workflow. But can you do short-transaction edits to Oracle Spatial?

If you can't edit non-SDE spatial data at 10.1, is there a third party solution that will do this? What about ArcGIS Desktop 10? Is there a third party editing solution that will enable it to edit non-SDE Oracle Spatial data?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
DougGreen
Occasional Contributor II
I just loaded some data into a fresh install of SQL Server Express and did not have SDE. Then I used PgMap (http://www.st-links.com/Pages/default.aspx) to connect to the database and edit data. Can only use 100 features at a time until you get a registration key. It is open source for those who are not enterprise. Enjoy.
0 Kudos
SFGISProgram
New Contributor II
here you can see sds video: http://video.arcgis.com/watch/483/sharing-data-as-a-feature-service-using-the-spatial-data-server-wi...

Broken Link. I am very interested in the contents. May I see the video or information regarding the topic, please?
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Broken Link. I am very interested in the contents. May I see the video or information regarding the topic, please?

I am interested in this video as well. Can you please provide working link. Thanks.

FYI, some videos on Spatial Data Server technology:

Publishing Feature Services from Desktop to the Spatial Data Server

Installing the ArcGIS 10.1 Spatial Data Server for the Java component of ArcGIS 10.1 for Server

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
J_Chen
by
New Contributor
I just did some tests on spatial data server 10.1 for IIS.

In my 64-bit workstation Dell OPTIPLEX 790, there are Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, ArcGIS Desktop 10.1, ArcGIS 10.1 spatial data server for IIS (EDN), and SQL Server 2008 R2 (Developer). A named instance of SQL Server 2008 R2 was created during installation. A SQL Server database (non-SDE) was created to hold feature classes (that is feature tables in the OpenGIS Implementation Standard for Geographic information - Simple feature access - Part2: SQL option). Those feature classes will be published as feature services to the spatial data server that will host those feature services.

After feature services were published to and hosted in the spatial data server, I used the ArcMap 10.1 (as a client) to edit features. Here is the instruction http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Editing_a_feature_service_in_ArcMap/01sq00... .

Basically, to use ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 to edit spatial data (that is feature class) in a non-SDE database, a local file geodatabase will be used as intermediary to hold your editing work and then synchronize your edits back to the non-SDE database. However, I cannot use ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 to directly edit feature class in the non-SDE database (without using feature services and file geodatabase). But, I can open, select, and query tables of feature class in a non-SDE geodatabase, very much like attribute talbes of feature classes or SDE tables in a SDE geodatabase.

Maybe, the day when we can use ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 to directly edit feature classes in a non-SDE database, that day will be the end day for ArcSDE. Right, ESRI staff?
0 Kudos
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III
Maybe, the day when we can use ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 to directly edit feature classes in a non-SDE database, that day will be the end day for ArcSDE. Right, ESRI staff?

I'm not sure if ESRI want to get rid of ArcSDE. I do prefer the fact that MapInfo can directly write back to Oracle spatial data tables. However that is not to say that everything else about MapInfo is better than ArcGIS.

I only used MapInfo for digitising in the past but people I speak to locally say they prefer ArcGIS on the whole. Just ashame though that one can't write directly back to Oracle. I only want to do that so I can write more advanced and at times easier SQL queries on my data and even commit those changes outside of ArcMap, since the ArcMap Jet SQL is rather basic in comparison.
0 Kudos