editing tables in arcsde

10-14-2011 04:56 AM
ZacharyRawe
New Contributor II
I'm working with a table that is stored in ArcSDE.  It is a list of all stormwater managment facilities maintenance agreements owner information.  I'd like to be able to add new owners to the list.  How do I edit a table that is in ArcSDE? Do I have to export the table to a personal geodatabase, edit, and then reimport in into SDE?  Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I'm working with a table that is stored in ArcSDE.  It is a list of all stormwater managment facilities maintenance agreements owner information.  I'd like to be able to add new owners to the list.  How do I edit a table that is in ArcSDE? Do I have to export the table to a personal geodatabase, edit, and then reimport in into SDE?  Thanks.

ArcSDE has to be configured for editing by the administrator for you to edit dirrectly to it.  My administrator has some environments that are read only to end users and other environments that allow approved editors to alter data.  The administrator has to give you access to the editing environment, grant your user ID editor rights, and grant editor privileges to you on the specific feature class you want to edit.  If the feature class is versioned for multi-user editing you must create a personal child version from any protected parent version to allow you to edit.  Someone with access to the protected version would have to be asked to review and post your edits.  For unversioned data you would have to change an option setting under the Editor Button to disable versioned editing.

If you have no way of getting configured for SDE editing, you can copy or export the feature class to a file geodatabase which is the best option for preserving precision and features of SDE and edit it there.  To get your edits back into SDE you would have to approach your administrator to upload your data into the SDE environment.  But normally if they will not make you an editor, your SDE administrator will not upload the edits you've done outside of SDE.  You may have to create a work order to the SDE editor group, supply them with the information you want and have them charge you for the edits if that is the way your departments operate.
0 Kudos