ERROR: Cannot Initialize Shared Memory

02-04-2013 10:41 PM
mohd_syafidabdullah
New Contributor III
Hi Guru,
I'm using ArcSde 10 running on Oracle 10g at linux machine.
My problem is when want to bring up the sde service, the error appear
ArcSDE 10.0  for Oracle10g Build 685 Fri May 14 12:05:43  2010
-------------------------------------------------------

ST_Geometry Schema Owner: (SDE) Type Release: 1007

Instance initialized for ((sde)) . . .

Connected to instance . . .

Insufficient access to /tmp
WARNING: SDETMP: Setting temp path to /tmp

DBMS Connection established...

ERROR: Cannot Initialize Shared Memory (-79)

Delete /oracle-staging/sde10/sdeexe100/tmp/esri_sde and /oracle-staging/sde10/sdeexe100/tmp/esri_sde.lock if present.

Could not start ArcSDE -- Check Network, $SDEHOME disk, DBMS settings and dbinit.sde.

I check at /oracle-staging/sde10/sdeexe100/tmp folder, no files there..

Oracle is up and running.

Please help me

Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi Mohd,

It looks like something may be wrong with the permissions on either the /tmp or /oracle-staging/sde10/sdeexe100/tmp/ directory.
Does the os user running the sdemon -o start command have read/write access to those?
0 Kudos
mohd_syafidabdullah
New Contributor III
Hi Mohd,

It looks like something may be wrong with the permissions on either the /tmp or /oracle-staging/sde10/sdeexe100/tmp/ directory.
Does the os user running the sdemon -o start command have read/write access to those?

Thanks for the reply, Fojo
I'm also think same as you..but it's looks like some wierd thing happened to my server..
After restarted my linux server that have problem with clustering services, the OS mount root partition with read-only.
I reboot again and the server is ok...I start the oracle 10g..all fine..and I start the sde service, it's prompt me with the error.
before this error happen, the sdetmp is at /tmp ..after error I try to move the SDETMP to /oracle-staging/sde10/sdeexe100/tmp and modify dbinit.sde SDETMP paramater to new location which has arc user r/w permission on it..the problem still same..thearc user also use to start/stop the sde command in linux..

Any solution or workaround that I can figure out?
0 Kudos
mohd_syafidabdullah
New Contributor III
Hi there,

Yes the problem is /tmp folder permission..
I set back SDETMP to /tmp in dbinit.sde and gave the /tmp 777 permission.
And I managed to start back my SDE..

Thanks for all the reply.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
777 is the wrong permission for /tmp.  It should be 1777 (or your host might not
function correctly).

- V
0 Kudos