export a postgis database with greek characters - HELP

06-13-2011 12:06 AM
apolele
New Contributor
Hi

I encounter a problem. Specificallly, i try to export a postgis database to a geodatabase using the extension data interoperability. Unfortunately, i didn't achieve it, because tha data of postgis has greek characters!
What's going on with encoding??
So could anyone help me??

Thanks in advnace!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello Alelentz

Unfortunately the underlying engine for Data Interoperability 10 is not unicode aware; this is fixed in the next release.  You may want to try PostGIS dumper utility pgsql2shp and see if it correctly creates a codepage file (.cpg extension) and if so you can then import the shapefile into any geodatabase including unicode data.

Regards
0 Kudos
apolele
New Contributor
Hi Bruce

Today, i was searching a lot in the internet, and i realized that the pgsql2shp is one of the solutions for my problem. Also, i can do the same thing with the GDAL\OGR library.
Anyway, my issue is solved and i want to thank you, for your reply.
But i want to ask and something else.. when you say that "...this is fixed in the next release..." which version of arcgis do you mean?? ArcGIS 10.1/2 or ArcGIS 11??

Regards!
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello again

The 10.1 release of Data Interoperability will be unicode aware.

Regards
0 Kudos
KowchKoh
New Contributor
Another tool can solve your problem. The ST-Links PgMap. It works with ArcGIS 10 and it is unicode aware. And the data load by PgMap is compatible with QGIS, Manifold.
0 Kudos
stevepeedell
New Contributor
Hello again

The 10.1 release of Data Interoperability will be unicode aware.

Regards

Of course this does beg the question why it has taken until 10.1 to support Unicode........?

Steve
0 Kudos