EXPORT SDC file into shapefile

07-12-2013 12:21 PM
yunkexiang
New Contributor
Dear all,
I am trying to ge the shapefile from SDC file so that I can put them into postGIS.
Would you please let me know if there is an easy way of doing it?
Thanks.
Best
yk
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Yunkex,

I think you can simply perform this task using your ArcCatalog interface.

From ArcCatalog, create a folder connection and browse to the folder where your SDC dataset is stored. Right-Click on the SDC Feature Class and use the "Export to Shapefile" option to get the desired Shapefile.

** You didn't provide the version of ArcGIS you are using. The workflow above is suggested for 10.1.

NOTE: If converting large amounts of data, it's probably best to use a geodatabase format for space efficiency and better capabilities; shapefiles are useful for interchange among different vendors' spatial data processing products.

Regards,
0 Kudos
yunkexiang
New Contributor
Hi asrujit,
Thanks a ton for the reply.
The sdc file I am exporting contains 30,000,000 records and many fields.
I tried export it by right click, but it took three days for arctics to process it and the final file had some fields messed up.
I am wondering if my server has gone out of memory.
In my case, shall I delete some field of sdc file first and then export them ( and maybe try to first select a subset of the file)?
If I export the data as geodatabase, can I till import them into postgis?
Thanks.
Best
Yk

Yunkex,

I think you can simply perform this task using your ArcCatalog interface.

From ArcCatalog, create a folder connection and browse to the folder where your SDC dataset is stored. Right-Click on the SDC Feature Class and use the "Export to Shapefile" option to get the desired Shapefile.

** You didn't provide the version of ArcGIS you are using. The workflow above is suggested for 10.1.

NOTE: If converting large amounts of data, it's probably best to use a geodatabase format for space efficiency and better capabilities; shapefiles are useful for interchange among different vendors' spatial data processing products.

Regards,
0 Kudos